Steelheads Fall to Americans, 3-2
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (23-12-3) went back and forth with the Allen Americans (13-27-2) but fell 3-2 on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
The Steelheads and Americans battled back and forth throughout the game, and on the first power play of the night, the Americans jumped ahead. At 1:18 of the first period, Americans forward Adam Miller was opened for a one-time shot off the right post to take the early 1-0 lead. Steelheads forward Kale Kessy cashed for his first goal of the night with a shot from behind the net pushed in by an Americans forward at 5:18, which tied the game at 1-1.
The Americans scored the first goal of the second period as well at 8:30, with this time defenseman Joel Chouinard scoring from the blue line to take a 2-1 lead. Kessy would answer again, this goal at 13:05, set up by a cross-ice pass by forward A.J. White to set up the one-time shot and a tie game, 2-2.
In the third period, the Americans found the deciding goal on the power play at 8:21 when forward Zach Pochiro fired a one-time shot from the left circle, jumping ahead 3-2. The Steelheads pressed with the help of a late power play, but the Americans held off the Steelheads for the win.
Americans goaltender C.J. Motte (11-11-2) halted 28 of 30 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (14-5-0) saved 27 of 30 shots in the loss. The Steelheads and Americans continue their weekend series on Friday, Jan. 18 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK as well as 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Ch. 72 and ECHL TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2019
- Komm Returned on Loan from Phantoms, Hora and Booth Promoted to AHL - Reading Royals
- Promotional Details for this Saturday's Pink in the Rink Announced - Norfolk Admirals
- Ryan Faragher, Brad McClure Return to Steelheads from AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Thunder Names Robbie Nolan Honorary Captain for Go Red Night - Wichita Thunder
- Halverson's Save Makes SportsCenter Top Ten Plays - Maine Mariners
- Cherniwchan Selected as All-Star Classic Replacement - South Carolina Stingrays
- VanWormer Selected for Hardest Shot Competition in ECHL Skills Challenge - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Captain David Kolomatis Named Captain of Eastern Conference All-Stars - Manchester Monarchs
- Pleskach Selected for ECHL All-Star Classic - Tulsa Oilers
- Captains, Roster Replacements and Skills Competition Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Gardiner Named to All-Star Classic, Replaces Taylor - Kalamazoo Wings
- Alex Brooks Selected as ECHL All-Star Replacement - Indy Fuel
- Collins Signs PTO with AHL Manitoba - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Host Annual Jayden DeLuca Foundation Jersey Auction this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Open Series in Idaho with a 3-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-1 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall to Tulsa 4-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall to Americans, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Win Fifth Straight to Open Series in Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Jacksonville Comes out on Top in Norfolk - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise
- Forward Brett Supinski Returns to Steelheads