Americans Open Series in Idaho with a 3-2 Win
Boise, Idaho - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, opened a three-game series against the Idaho Steelheads on Wednesday night with a 3-2 victory extending their winning streak to four games.
The Americans opened the scoring at 1:18 in the first period as Zach Pochiro found Adam Miller on a back-door pass that beat Tomas Sholl for his 12th goal of the season. Idaho would tie the score four minutes later as Spencer Naas picked up his 10th goal of the season from in front of the Allen net to make it 1-1. That's the way the period would end with the Americans going 1 for 2 on the power play, while Idaho was 0 for 1. The Americans outshot the Steelheads 10 to 6.
The Americans regained the lead in the second period as Joel Chouinard fired one past Tomas Sholl from the right point to put Allen back on top 2-1 at the 8:30 mark. Curt Gogol and Dante Salituro assisted on the Allen goal. Idaho would tie the score again at the 13:05 mark with a two-on-one rush as Idaho Captain AJ White found Kale Kessy for his eighth of the season to tie the game at 2-2. Idaho outshot the Americans 13 to 11 in the second frame, but Allen held the lead in shots on goal for the game 21 to 19.
The Americans would score the only goal in the third period as Zach Pochiro netted his 23rd of the season on the power play. Pochiro finished with a two-point night. CJ Motte was spectacular again stopping 28 of 30 shots including a Kale Kessy penalty shot to earn the win. The series resumes on Friday night at 8:10 pm in Boise.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2019
- Komm Returned on Loan from Phantoms, Hora and Booth Promoted to AHL - Reading Royals
- Promotional Details for this Saturday's Pink in the Rink Announced - Norfolk Admirals
- Ryan Faragher, Brad McClure Return to Steelheads from AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Thunder Names Robbie Nolan Honorary Captain for Go Red Night - Wichita Thunder
- Halverson's Save Makes SportsCenter Top Ten Plays - Maine Mariners
- Cherniwchan Selected as All-Star Classic Replacement - South Carolina Stingrays
- VanWormer Selected for Hardest Shot Competition in ECHL Skills Challenge - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Captain David Kolomatis Named Captain of Eastern Conference All-Stars - Manchester Monarchs
- Pleskach Selected for ECHL All-Star Classic - Tulsa Oilers
- Captains, Roster Replacements and Skills Competition Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Gardiner Named to All-Star Classic, Replaces Taylor - Kalamazoo Wings
- Alex Brooks Selected as ECHL All-Star Replacement - Indy Fuel
- Collins Signs PTO with AHL Manitoba - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Host Annual Jayden DeLuca Foundation Jersey Auction this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Open Series in Idaho with a 3-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-1 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall to Tulsa 4-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall to Americans, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Win Fifth Straight to Open Series in Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Jacksonville Comes out on Top in Norfolk - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.