Oilers Win Fifth Straight to Open Series in Utah
WEST VALLEY CITY, UT - A fast start and defensively stellar effort led the Tulsa Oilers (22-12-6) to a 4-1 win over the Utah Grizzlies (22-10-4) Wednesday in the first of three meetings this week at the Maverik Center. The win was Tulsa's fifth straight and the team's ninth victory in its last ten games.
Tulsa jumped in front early when Scott Henegar deflected a shot from Tommy Mele past former Oilers goaltender Kevin Carr. The Oilers made it 2-0 before the halfway point of the opening period, when Jared Thomas threaded a pass through the crease for Charlie Sampair who slid the puck past Carr on his backhand. Tulsa held a 13-2 shots advantage after one.
The Grizzlies outshot the Oilers 9-7 in the second period, but Tulsa extended its lead to 3-0 when Jared Thomas blasted a one-timer into the net from the top of the right circle during an Oilers power play. Tulsa carried a 3-0 lead into the third.
Utah's Austin Carroll raced up the right wing and spoiled Evan Fitzpatrick's shutout bid 3:03 into the third with the Grizzlies only goal of the night on just 14 shots. It was the fewest shots the Oilers have allowed in a game all season. Late in the game, Alex Kromm scored an empty net goal to complete the scoring in Tulsa's 4-1 win.
The Oilers and Utah Grizzlies face-off again Friday at 8:05pm CT at the Maverik Center. Catch all the action on the Sports Animal radio network in Tulsa, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with pregame coverage starting at 7:45pm CT. The game will also be featured for FREE on Facebook Live at the ECHL Facebook Page.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2019
- Komm Returned on Loan from Phantoms, Hora and Booth Promoted to AHL - Reading Royals
- Promotional Details for this Saturday's Pink in the Rink Announced - Norfolk Admirals
- Ryan Faragher, Brad McClure Return to Steelheads from AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Thunder Names Robbie Nolan Honorary Captain for Go Red Night - Wichita Thunder
- Halverson's Save Makes SportsCenter Top Ten Plays - Maine Mariners
- Cherniwchan Selected as All-Star Classic Replacement - South Carolina Stingrays
- VanWormer Selected for Hardest Shot Competition in ECHL Skills Challenge - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Captain David Kolomatis Named Captain of Eastern Conference All-Stars - Manchester Monarchs
- Pleskach Selected for ECHL All-Star Classic - Tulsa Oilers
- Captains, Roster Replacements and Skills Competition Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Gardiner Named to All-Star Classic, Replaces Taylor - Kalamazoo Wings
- Alex Brooks Selected as ECHL All-Star Replacement - Indy Fuel
- Collins Signs PTO with AHL Manitoba - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Host Annual Jayden DeLuca Foundation Jersey Auction this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Open Series in Idaho with a 3-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-1 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall to Tulsa 4-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall to Americans, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Win Fifth Straight to Open Series in Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Jacksonville Comes out on Top in Norfolk - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.