Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0
RAPID CITY, S.D. - Kyle Platzer notched multiple points for the fifth straight game and Jeremy Helvig earned his second straight shutout with 22 saves to send the Florida Everblades past the Rapid City Rush, 4-0, on Wednesday night at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
In the first-ever meeting with Rapid City (15-21-2-3, 35 pts.), Florida (27-7-5-0, 59 pts.) scored just seven seconds apart in the first five minutes of the second period to earn its fifth straight win and ninth in its last 10 games.
Joe Cox started the scoring with his 15th goal of the season. After Ben Masella broke it out of the 'Blades zone with a feed to Platzer, Platzer then helped set up Cox for the goal. Platzer sent a backhand feed to the right wing for Cox, who toe-dragged around a Rush defenseman and shot simultaneously to beat Rapid City goaltender Adam Carlson.
Just seven seconds later, Derek Sheppard then doubled that lead with a goal off the ensuing faceoff. Tommy Thompson won the faceoff back to Sheppard, and Sheppard carried the puck into the zone down the left wing. From the bottom of the left circle, the rookie defenseman snapped off a shot to beat Carlson for his 10th goal of the year.
Rapid City had a chance to get back within one at the 7:30 mark of the third period as Darby Llewellyn drew a penalty shot. But Llewellyn missed the penalty shot to help Helvig preserve his shutout and ninth straight win.
The Rush then pulled Carlson for an extra attacker in the last three minutes of regulation, but John McCarron sealed the win with an empty-net tally in his first game back with Florida after being returned from his loan to the American Hockey League's Stockton Heat.
Florida capped the scoring on a breakaway tally from Platzer just 38 seconds after McCarron's score. That goal was Platzer's seventh in his last four games.
Helvig's personal nine-game winning streak is the longest win streak by a 'Blades goaltender in the last 11 seasons.
After a day off on Thursday, Florida resumes the three-game series with Rapid City on Friday night at 9:05 p.m. ET.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2019
- Komm Returned on Loan from Phantoms, Hora and Booth Promoted to AHL - Reading Royals
- Promotional Details for this Saturday's Pink in the Rink Announced - Norfolk Admirals
- Ryan Faragher, Brad McClure Return to Steelheads from AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Thunder Names Robbie Nolan Honorary Captain for Go Red Night - Wichita Thunder
- Halverson's Save Makes SportsCenter Top Ten Plays - Maine Mariners
- Cherniwchan Selected as All-Star Classic Replacement - South Carolina Stingrays
- VanWormer Selected for Hardest Shot Competition in ECHL Skills Challenge - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Captain David Kolomatis Named Captain of Eastern Conference All-Stars - Manchester Monarchs
- Pleskach Selected for ECHL All-Star Classic - Tulsa Oilers
- Captains, Roster Replacements and Skills Competition Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Gardiner Named to All-Star Classic, Replaces Taylor - Kalamazoo Wings
- Alex Brooks Selected as ECHL All-Star Replacement - Indy Fuel
- Collins Signs PTO with AHL Manitoba - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Host Annual Jayden DeLuca Foundation Jersey Auction this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Open Series in Idaho with a 3-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-1 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall to Tulsa 4-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall to Americans, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Win Fifth Straight to Open Series in Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Jacksonville Comes out on Top in Norfolk - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon
- Road Warriors: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Shootout Victory