Stars fall to Peoria
Cedar Park, TX - The Texas Stars (28-15-3-4, 63 points) were defeated by the Peoria Rivermen (24-19-1-5, 54 points) 6-3 on Friday night in front of 4,760 fans at Cedar Park Center. Peoria scored four times in the first period and finished with a three-goal win, ending the Stars six-game home winning streak. Peoria winger Adam Cracknell had a goal and an assist, leading the Rivermen to their third win over Texas this season. Stars goalie Todd Ford (4-2-1) stopped 22 of 25 Rivermen shots after replacing Matt Climie in the first period. Peoria goalie Ben Bishop (15-10-3) made 28 saves in the win on the road. Texas will host a rematch with Peoria on Saturday, February 6th at 7:00 PM.
Peoria center Yan Stastny scored at 6:59 of the first period, giving the Rivermen an early 1-0 lead. Nicholas Drazenovic set up Stastny in front of the net for his 14th goal of the season, beating Stars goalie Matt Climie on the gloveside. The Rivermen scored again at 9:59, taking a 2-0 lead. Adam Cracknell found Brett Sonne at the bottom of the left-wing circle for a shot over Climie's shoulder. Center Nicholas Drazenovic increased the Rivermen lead to 3-0 at 11:34, his 13th goal of the year. With 8:26 remaining in the opening period, Stars goalie Matt Climie (13-13-3) was replaced by Todd Ford after stopping three of six Rivermen shots. Ford was beat at 15:57 by Pascal Pelletier for a 4-0 Rivermen lead. The outburst marked the first time all year Texas had given up four goals in one period.
The Stars got on the board 13:27 into the second period. Forward Travis Morin sent a cross-ice pass to forward Greg Rallo who fired a one-timer past Rivermen goalie Ben Bishop on the gloveside. Rallo leads the team with 16 goals this season. At 15:19, winger Francis Wathier sent a backhanded pass through the crease to Travis Morin for a shot past Bishop, cutting Peoria's lead in half at 4-2. Morin has registered 12 goals this season.
In the third period, Adam Cracknell found a rebound in the crease and slid the puck past Ford for a 5-2 Peoria lead. Defenseman Tyson Strachan assisted Cracknell's second point of the game and tenth goal of the year. Texas countered at 13:05 after defenseman Garrett Stafford fired a shot from the right point over Bishop. The defenseman's sixth goal of the season brought the Stars within a pair at 5-3. Forward Barry Tallackson added an empty-net goal with 1:20 left for the 6-3 final.
The Stars will host the Peoria Rivermen again on Saturday, February 6th at 7:00 PM. On Saturday, the first 3,000 fans will receive Texas Stars pennant. Also, fans may purchase the State Farm Family four-pack (four tickets, four sodas and four hot dogs for $44). Texas continues a five-game home stand on Tuesday, February 9th with a game against the Grand Rapids Griffins at 7:30 PM. On Tuesday, fans who bring a HEB brand non-perishable food item will receive $5.00 off their ticket price. All games can be heard on the Stars flagship station ESPNAustin 104.9 FM "The Horn" or ESPNAustin 1530-AM.
Tickets for any of the Stars 40 regular season home games at Cedar Park Center are on sale, starting as low as $9.00 a seat. Individual game tickets may be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000, by going online at www.ticketmaster.com or by visiting any local Ticketmaster outlet.
Season ticket packages to see the Stars play their Inaugural season at the Cedar Park Center are on sale now, starting as low as $12.00 a seat. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com. Anyone interested in purchasing season tickets, suites, group tickets or mini-plans may call the Texas Stars front office.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Stars Top Penguins 4-3 in Shootout Thriller
- Dallas Stars Acquire Forward Oula Palve from Pittsburgh in Exchange for Defenseman John Nyberg
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Stephen Johns from Conditioning Assignment in Texas
- Stars Soar Past Penguins 5-2 Behind Kero's Hat Trick
- Texas Recalls Goaltender Tomas Sholl from Idaho