B-Sens blast Albany
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - Both Binghamton and Albany entered their game tonight on losing streaks, the B-Sens would be the team fortunate enough to pull out the win to end their four game skid. Mike Brodeur made a strong return in goal, back from his stint in Ottawa, helping his team come out on top.
Just 22 seconds into the first period, Jiri Tlusty, recently back himself after seeing NHL action in Carolina, scored on a two-on-one break to give the River Rats the early lead. Jacob Mickflikier and Chris Terry started the rush at center ice and each was credited with an assist.
The Senators responded at the 8:11 mark of the first. A shot from the point rang off the post, giving Denis Hamel an opportunity to bury the rebound to tie the game. It was Hamel's 18th goal of the year and was assisted by line mates Ryan Keller and Martin St. Pierre.
Defenseman Craig Schira was able to put away a give-and-go pass with just over two minutes remaining. Erik Condra and Josh Hennessy set up a picture perfect play, allowing Schira to easily shoot the puck past Albany goaltender Mike Murphy putting the B-Sens up 2-1.
The second period was a goaltender show down. Brodeur stopped all 13 shots from Albany while Murphy stopped 15 from Binghamton.
Binghamton added to their lead with a quick goal to start the third period. Neil Petruic took a shot from the point, leading to a rebound which Keller was able to cash in on only 27 seconds in to give the Senators a two-goal lead.
The River Rats then took advantage of a power play to come back within one. At 9:40 of the period Nicolas Blanchard found the net. Micflikier and Terry earned their second helpers of the night on the goal.
Moments later Hamel put his second goal of the game away to help his team regain the two-goal lead.
The River Rats came back once more on a shot from the point from defensemen Jamie McBain. His shot made it through traffic, beating Brodeur five hole. That would be the last Albany puck to find the net though, as Binghamton held on for the 4-3 win.
The B-Sens return to action tomorrow night versus the North Division's Rochester Americans. Game time is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.