Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory
Providence, RI- Jhonas Enroth turned aside 38 shots and Felix Schutz and Tyler Ennis each had a goal and an assist as the Portland Pirates blanked the Providence Bruins 3-0 in an American Hockey League game played tonight in front of 8,074 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.
The shutout victory was Enroth's second straight against the Bruins in Providence as he turned in a 39-save performance here back on January 3rd. The blanking was the second year goaltender's fourth of the year.
The win also marked the 200th regular season victory for Pirates Head Coach Kevin Dineen.
Derek Whitmore netted the other Pirates goal as Portland improved to 26-16-5-2 with their fifth straight win.
Schutz netted the only goal of the opening period to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead. Ennis made it 2-0 Portland midway through the second period before Whitmore capitalized on the power play to give the Pirates a 3-0 advantage heading into the third.
The Bruins out shot the Pirates 38-30 in the game.
The Allied Home Mortgage Three stars of the game were all from the Pirates. Enroth was the first, Schutz the second and Ennis the third.
The Pirates wrap up weekend action tomorrow (Saturday) night in Lowell against the Devils in a 7 p.m. start. The game can be heard live on News Talk WLOB 95.5 and on-line at portlandpirates.com beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
The Next Pirates home games take place February 12 and 13th at the Cumberland County Civic Center against the Syracuse Crunch and Adirondack Phantoms, respectively.
February 12th against the Crunch it is WCYY Guitar Hero and Maine Chevy Dealers Towel Giveaway Night. Come test your Guitar Hero skills and you could make it to the final round and play in front of all the Pirates fans on the scoreboard. The grand prize winner will be taking home concert tickets to the Breaking Benjamin, 3 Days Grace and Flyleaf show being held at the CCCC on Sunday, February 14th. Plus, the first 1,000 fans receive a Pirates towel courtesy of Maine Chevy Dealers.
February 13th when the Pirates meet Phantoms it's another Labatt Blue Light Hockey Night in Portland. Enjoy pre- and post-game specials at Binga's Stadium, Brian Boru, Frosty Pint and Spring Point Tavern. One lucky fan could win Salty Pete's Treasure Chest filled with more than $500 in prizes and Positive 89.3 will present a pre-game concert featuring Johnny Diaz.
Tickets for the games are available by calling (207) 775-3458, visiting the Cumberland County Civic Center Box Office or going on-line at www.portlandpirates.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.