Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss
Despite forcing overtime with a last second goal in the third period, the Moose surrendered a fourth period marker to suffer a 5-4 loss to the visiting San Antonio Rampage in front of 9,358 fans at MTS Centre on Friday night. Dan Sexton potted a pair of goals while Matt Pettinger and Marty Murray rounded out the scoring. Goaltender Cory Schneider stopped 27 of 32 shots in his 15th loss this season.
Evan Oberg was handed the first penalty of the night when he was charged for interference 28 seconds into the game. The Rampage managed to test Cory Schneider twice on the man-advantage, but couldn't beat the third year net minder or Manitoba's penalty killers.
Five-on-five hockey paid off for the visitors at 2:44. Gavin Morgan's initial shot was saved by Schneider, but the puck trickled out of the goaltender's grasp allowing Francis Lessard to slap in the loose rebound to open the scoring.
With Kyle Turris serving time for interference at 10:04, the Moose got back on even ground. Brian Salcido's blast from the point was tipped in by right-winger Dan Sexton to knot the game at one.
Manitoba received overlapping penalties to start the second period when Evan Rankin and Mike Keane were reprimanded for slashing and high-sticking respectively. San Antonio took the shot lead, 12-10, during the advantages but couldn't connect on either powerplay.
At 11:57 Matt Watkins flew down the left side of the ice, swung around the net, and stuffed the puck between the left post and Schneider's left goal pad to regain the lead, 2-1.
Tempers flared in the dying minutes of the second frame, as Jannik Hansen and Chad Kolarik squared off near the visiting bench. After both players fell to the ice they were handed five-minute fighting majors, with an additional two-minute roughing minor for the Rampage attacker.
At 5:06 of the third period the Moose capitalized on their 20th shot of the game. Marco Rosa's wrist shot from the slot was denied but Dan Sexton picked up the rebound and snapped the puck over Tordjman's sprawled goal pad to tie the game at two.
The Rampage didn't waste any time, capitalizing exactly two-minutes after the goal. Mikkel Boedker, in his first game back after being re-assigned by Phoenix, broke into Manitoba's zone and took a slap shot that beat Schneider on his blocker side for a 3-2 tally.
With 4:11 left in the final frame, Matt Pettinger topped the puck over Tordjman to score his 11th of the season and tie the game at three.
At 17:44 Lawrence Nycholat was sent to the sin bin for delay of game. A mere 10 seconds into the powerplay the puck caught a bounce off Jeff Hogan's shin and into the net , 4-3. The Moose didn't give up, however, and Marty Murray tied the score back up 2:05 later to score his ninth of the season and force overtime with a 4-4 tally.
45 seconds into the fourth period, Mikkel Boedker flew down the side of the ice and into the Moose zone. He fed the puck to Kevin Porter who potted in the game winner to confirm a 5-4 victory for his club.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Claude Noel Named Head Coach of Winnipeg NHL Team
- TNSE Launches "Drive to 13,000" to Secure NHL Franchise in Winnipeg
- Canucks Recall Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sergei Shirokov, Aaron Volpatti and Alex Bolduc
- Moose Eliminated by Bulldogs in Triple Overtime
- Moose Won't Back Down