Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars
CEDAR PARK, TX - The Peoria Rivermen offense erupted for four first-period goals on their way to a 6-3 win over the Texas Stars on Friday night at Cedar Park Center. Six different players scored to help the Rivermen snap a four-game winless streak in the first of back-to-back games with the Stars.
The six-goal output was just the third time this season the Rivermen scored more than five goals in a game. Peoria improved to 3-0-0-1 against the Stars and have outscored 17-10 over those four games, 11-4 in Texas.
Ben Bishop bounced back from a rough outing on Wednesday to finish with 28 saves and his 15th win of the season. He made a number of tough stops in the first period and then worked his way through a 15-shot second period. The Rivermen power-play finished 0-for-3.
Yan Stastny, Brett Sonne, Nicholas Drazenovic, and Pascal Pelletier all scored within 8:58 of each other to stake the Rivermen a 4-0 lead with 4:03 remaining in the first period. Stastny's 10th of the season came courtesy of a 2-on-1 with Drazenovic that he tapped past the starter Matt Climie at 6:59. The lead grew to 2-0 exactly 3 minutes later when Sonne snapped a shot over Climie's shoulder after Adam Cracknell set him up from behind the net.
Draznenovic chased Climie from the goal at 11:34 with a slapshot from along the boards. It was his 13th of the year and finished the night for Climie with three goals against and three saves. Todd Ford allowed a goal on the first shot he faced at 15:57. Barry Tallackson fed Pelletier in the slot who pushed the puck past Ford and the wristed one over his outstretched legs.
Peoria finished the first period with a 4-0 lead on just 12 shots.
The two teams combined for 28 shots (15-13 Texas) in the second period and the Stars scored the only two goals. Greg Rallo and Travis Morin scored 1:52 apart to cut into the Rivermen lead. Rallo's was his 16th of the season at 13:27 while Morin converted on the power play at 15:19 for his 12th.
In the third, Cracknell gave the Rivermen a 5-2 lead at 8:08. Anthony Peluso, in his first game back after seven with ECHL Alaska, picked up a loose puck and sent it to Tyson Strachan at the blue line. Strachan's shot was deflected by Cracknell off the post and then he fought off defenders to finish the play.
After Garret Stafford sailed one into the top corner at 13:05, the Rivermen ran the clock down and forced the Stars to pull Ford for the extra attacker. Tallackson sealed the win with an empty-netter, and his team-leading 14th goal of the season at 18:40.
Cracknell, Drazenovic and Tallackson all finished with a goal and an assist.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.