Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win
NORFOLK, Va. - Paul Szczechura deflected a Matt Lashoff shot into the net 3:50 into overtime to give the Norfolk Admirals (24-23-3-1) points in their ninth straight game (7-0-1-1) with a 3-2 victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack (24-20-3-4) on Friday night at Norfolk Scope Arena. The Admirals and Wolf Pack will tangle again tomorrow night at Scope.
The Wolf Pack out-shot the Admirals 14-7 in the first period primarily due to three power play opportunities. However, the teams skated into the first intermission in a scoreless tie.
Hartford took a 1-0 lead with a shorthanded goal just 52 seconds into the second period. Corey Locke attempted an aerial centering feed from the right circle toward Dane Byers in the left circle. However, the puck deflected off the stick of an Admirals defenseman in the slot and hopped over the right shoulder of Norfolk netminder Jaroslav Janus on its way into the net.
Norfolk tied the game with a power play marker 11:56 into the second stanza. Matt Fornataro sent a pass from the left half walls to Mitch Fadden in the right circle. Fadden ripped a wrist shot over the glove of Hartford netminder Matt Zaba for his third goal of the season.
Hartford took a 2-1 lead midway through the third period. Kenny Roche teed up a slap shot from the left faceoff circle that whizzed by the outstretched glove of Janus at 8:45.
The Admirals poured on the offense after that, getting two late power plays but failing to score on both. However, just ten seconds after their final power play of the game expired, Ryan McGinnis sent a slap shot from the left point through traffic. Justin Keller got a stick on the shot and deflected it just enough as it eluded Zaba at 16:55.
The Admirals controlled the overtime frame, out-shooting the Wolf Pack 6-1 and finding the back of the net on their sixth shot at 3:50 of the extra session. Matt Lashoff sent a slap shot from the high slot that Paul Szczechura deflected into the net for his seventh goal of the season to send the Scope crowd home happy.
Jaroslav Janus (31 shots, 29 saves) earned the win. Matt Zaba (40 shots, 37 saves) was saddled with the loss.
Norfolk was 1-5 on the power play. Hartford was 0-6.
The Admirals and Wolf Pack will face off again tomorrow night at Scope at 7:15 p.m. Join us for Public Safety Night to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The puck will drop at 4:30 with "The Bravest versus The Finest" pitting the Norfolk Police Department Hockey Team against the Norfolk Fire Department Hockey Team.
For a complete schedule and details of the promotions, please visit norfolkadmirals.com or call (757) 640-1212.
To purchase tickets to any Admirals game, you may visit the Scope Box Office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., visit any Ticketmaster outlet, call Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or visit Ticketmaster online at ticketmaster.com. Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.