Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - With the Manitoba Moose holding Corey Schneider bobblehead night at the MTS Centre, the San Antonio Rampage erupted for five goals against the Moose netminder and defeated Manitoba, 5-4, in overtime.
San Antonio (21-20-3-5) entered Friday without a win at MTS Centre since January 19, 2007, when the Rampage defeated the Moose, 5-2.
Rampage right wing Francis Lessard provided San Antonio with an early 1-0 lead with a goal two minutes and 44 seconds into the first. After screening Manitoba netminder Corey Schneider in front of the Moose net during a shot from the left point by defenseman David Schlemko, Lessard pounced on a rebound near the right post and netted his first goal of the season. San Antonio center Gavin Morgan was also credited with an assist on Lessard's tally.
The Moose tied the contest at one goal apiece with a power-play goal by former Rampage right wing Dan Sexton. Intercepting a clearing attempt by a Rampage defenseman near the right point of the San Antonio zone, Manitoba defenseman Brian Salcido eluded a Rampage forward with a toe drag before firing a wrist shot that was tipped in front by Sexton through Rampage goaltender Josh Tordjman's five-hole.
The Rampage regained their lead at the 11:47 mark of the second on right wing Matt Watkins' sixth goal of the season. Entering the right side of the Moose zone with speed, the left-handed Watkins curled behind the Manitoba net before beating the Moose netminder on a wrap-around inside the left post. Rampage left wing Brett MacLean and Morgan were credited with assists on Watkins' marker.
Early in the third, at the 5:06 mark of the period, Sexton notched his second goal of the game to even the score at 2-2.
Exactly, three minutes later, the Rampage regained the lead on a goal by right wing Mikkel Boedker, who was playing his first game back with San Antonio since being reassigned by the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday. Receiving a cross-ice pass from center Kyle Turris on the right boards near the Manitoba blueline, Boedker skated into the Moose zone before firing a slap shot from the right faceoff dot under Schneider's blocker to provide San Antonio with a 3-2 lead.
Manitoba tied the game once again, on a goal by left wing Mike Pettinger with 3:48 remaining in regulation. After receiving a pass from Salcido on the right boards inside the Rampage blueline, Pettinger used a Rampage defenseman as a screen before firing a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle and beating Tordjman inside the left post.
With 2:06 remaining in the game, Manitoba defenseman Lawrence Nycholat was whistled for a delay of game penalty for lifting the puck out of play.
Ten seconds into the penalty, Rampage captain Jeff Hoggan scored his eighth goal of the season when a Kevin Porter shot from the high slot deflected off his skate near the left post and under Schneider's blocker to provide San Antonio with a 4-3 lead with 2:26 remaining.
However, Manitoba struck again, at 19:39, with Schneider on the Moose bench in favor of an extra skater, when Manitoba center Marty Murray fired a low shot from the right faceoff dot that bounced over Tordjman's left shoulder to tie the game at 4-4 with 21 seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime.
Forty-five seconds into overtime, Porter ended the game in a favorable fashion for San Antonio with his 12th goal and third game-winner of the season. Receiving a pass from Rampage defenseman Shaun Heshka along the right boards in the neutral zone, Boedker sped into the right side of the Moose zone and fired a wrist shot that deflected off Porter's stick in the low slot and over Schneider's left shoulder to seal San Antonio's fourth overtime victory in 2009-10.
Tordjman made 26 saves on 30 Manitoba shots for his 10th victory of the season, while Schneider turned away 27 of 32 San Antonio shots in the loss.
San Antonio was 1-for-4 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill on the night.
The Rampage and Moose will reconvene for the second game of the back-to-back series on Saturday evening at 7:30 p.m. at MTS Centre.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.