Special Teams Hinders Oilers in Loss to Wichita
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers' four-game home winning came to an end Tuesday as the Wichita Thunder (8-9-4) won the special teams battle over the Oilers (13-4-4) in a 4-2 tilt at the BOK Center.
While the Oilers jumped out to an early 7-0 shots advantage, the Thunder scored two in the opening frame to lead 2-0 after 20 minutes. Jakob Stukel tallied the first Thunder goal off of a face-off win when he stick-handled at the edge of the crease and tucked a shot past Devin Williams along the post. Ralph Cuddemi then fired a one-timer into the net on a Wichita power play from the left circle to give the Thunder a two-goal cushion.
The Oilers broke Dylan Wells' shutout bid in the middle frame when Charlie Sampair tapped in a loose puck from the edge of the crease to make it 2-1. Ryan Tesink assisted on the goal, giving him a three-game point streak. Tulsa outshot Wichita 11-6 in the period and held a 26-12 shots advantage through two stanzas.
Tesink tied the score at 2-2 with his second straight multi-point game when he deflected a point shot from Mike McKee, but Cuddemi buried his second power play goal to put the Thunder in front for good. Mark MacMillan added an empty net goal to complete the scoring, as Wichita earned its first win over the Oilers in five tries this season.
Tulsa embarks on its longest road trip of the season starting Friday with a 6:15pm CT battle against the Toledo Walleye at the Huntington Center. The Oilers then face the Kalamazoo Wings Saturday at the Wings Event Center, before closing the weekend in Fort Wayne with a matchup against the Komets at Memorial Coliseum.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2018
- Special Teams Hinders Oilers in Loss to Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Stun Stingrays Late - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rays Fall Short to Swamp Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Snag Point in Shootout Loss at Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Justin Wade Assigned to Everblades by AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Florida Everblades
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Busy Promotional Game Week - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Win 3-2 in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- Overhardt Recalled to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Utah's Herbert, Ully Named Co-Winners of CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Utah's Herbert and Ully Each Named ECHL Players of the Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Milan Dealt to Greenville to Complete Future Considerations Trade - Reading Royals
- Newfoundland's Pooley Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Worcester's Gillam Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- 'Blades to Partner with Wendy's for $2 Ticket Special - Florida Everblades
- Railers' Gillam Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Weekly, December 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Home this Friday and Sunday - Maine Mariners
- 'Blades Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Second Week of Homestand - Florida Everblades
- Three IceMen Return from AHL - Jacksonville IceMen
- Krushelnyski Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Fuel Tangle Tuesday in Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Pond Returned to Atlanta by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.