'Blades Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Second Week of Homestand
ESTERO, Fla. - In the midst of a season-high eight-game unbeaten streak, the Florida Everblades (11-5-4-0, 26 pts.) continue a stretch of six straight games at home with three games in four days this week.
Florida continued its winning ways this past week by earning five of six possible points against South Carolina in a three-game set at Hertz Arena. After dropping a 1-0 decision in North Charleston, South Carolina, on Nov. 16, the Everblades responded with a series victory against the Stingrays in the only meetings between the two teams in Florida this season.
The Everblades face the top team in the South Division on Wednesday with a matchup against the Jacksonville Icemen before battling the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the first time this year on Friday and Saturday. Saturday night is the annual Teddy Bear Toss presented by Florida Community Bank, and the 'Blades will wear specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off postgame to benefit the Animal Refuge Center.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Nov. 28 | vs. South Carolina Stingrays - W, 4-1
Nov. 30 | vs. South Carolina Stingrays - OT L, 3-2
Dec. 1 | vs. South Carolina Stingrays - W, 4-2
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Dec. 5 | vs. Jacksonville Icemen | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Dec. 7 | vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Dec. 8 | vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits | 7 p.m. - Hertz Arena
With a 2-0-1-0 record last week, the Everblades extended their season-long unbeaten streak to eight games (6-0-2-0), the second-longest point streak in the ECHL this season.
Despite missing four games while on recall to the American Hockey League's Charlotte Checkers, Steven Lorentz is second on the 'Blades in scoring with 21 points (8g-13a). He notched his first multi-goal game of the season on Saturday for his team-leading sixth multi-point game of the year.
Following his fourth multi-point game of the season on Saturday, Jordon Southorn now has 17 points (2g-15a) and ranks third in the league for scoring among defensemen.
Blueliner Derek Sheppard has also had offensive success. The Ajax, Ontario, native is fourth among league defensemen with six goals, while his four power-play goals are tied for the league lead among defensemen.
Joe Cox (+16) and John McCarron (+15) are second and third in the ECHL in plus-minus rating, respectively. Cox finished the month of November as a +15 rating and received the AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month honor for his league-leading month.
Florida scored three of the four goals in the second period on Saturday and is an ECHL-best plus-14 in the second period this season.
The Everblades have yielded only two power-play goals at home this season and have an ECHL-leading 93.5 percent conversion rate (29-for-31) on the penalty kill on home ice.
Florida is second in the ECHL in goals allowed per game (2.50) and shots allowed per game (27.8).
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Jacksonville Icemen: 13-7-1-0, 27 PTS
Florida Everblades: 11-5-4-0, 26 PTS
Norfolk Admirals: 12-7-1-1, 26 PTS
South Carolina Stingrays: 11-10-0-0, 22 PTS
Orlando Solar Bears: 10-8-2-0, 22 PTS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 8-12-3-0, 19 PTS
Atlanta Gladiators: 5-10-3-0, 13 PTS
G: Joe Cox (9)
A: Jordon Southorn (15)
PTS: Cox (22)
+/-: Cox (+16)
SH: J. McCarron (60)
GAA: Jamie Phillips (2.19)
SV%: Phillips (.919)
$2 Wednesday (Dec. 5) - It's a $2 Wednesday when the Everblades take on the Jacksonville Icemen, the first-place team in the South Division. John Morrell hots dogs, Bud Light drafts, and Barefoot Wine are just $2 each!
Bottomless Popcorn Friday (Dec. 7) - It's a bottomless popcorn and kids eat free in the Breakaway Sports Pub Friday as the Everblades face the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the first time this season.
Teddy Bear Toss (Dec. 8) - It's the biggest night of the season as the 'Blades host their annual Teddy Bear Toss presented by Florida Community Bank! The Everblades will wear specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game to benefit the Animal Refuge Center.
EVERBLADES 2018-19 BROADCAST INFORMATION
Catch all the exciting action of Everblades hockey on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM on the radio waves, or listen for FREE online here.
Fans can also watch the games on a subscription basis on ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades celebrate a goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2018
- Special Teams Hinders Oilers in Loss to Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Stun Stingrays Late - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rays Fall Short to Swamp Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Snag Point in Shootout Loss at Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Justin Wade Assigned to Everblades by AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Florida Everblades
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Busy Promotional Game Week - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Win 3-2 in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- Overhardt Recalled to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Utah's Herbert, Ully Named Co-Winners of CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Utah's Herbert and Ully Each Named ECHL Players of the Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Milan Dealt to Greenville to Complete Future Considerations Trade - Reading Royals
- Newfoundland's Pooley Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Worcester's Gillam Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- 'Blades to Partner with Wendy's for $2 Ticket Special - Florida Everblades
- Railers' Gillam Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Weekly, December 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Home this Friday and Sunday - Maine Mariners
- 'Blades Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Second Week of Homestand - Florida Everblades
- Three IceMen Return from AHL - Jacksonville IceMen
- Krushelnyski Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Fuel Tangle Tuesday in Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Pond Returned to Atlanta by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors
- 'Blades Announce Updates on Renovations, Reminders for Opening Night
- Defenseman Fortunato Assigned to Florida by NHL's Predators
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk