Mavs Snag Point in Shootout Loss at Indy
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - The Kansas City Mavericks (12-5-1-1) stole a hard-earned point on the road in a come-from-behind 4-3 shootout loss to the Indy Fuel (10-10-0-0) Tuesday night at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Kansas City fell behind early, conceding two goals in the first nine minutes over the Fuel's first nine shots. The visiting team overcame the sluggish start, C.J. Eick depositing his third goal of the campaign at 10:53 of the opening frame to trim the deficit to 2-1, a score that remained into the locker room.
Indy doubled its lead early in the second, Matt Rupert beating Mason McDonald to extend the Fuel lead to 3-1. The remainder of the middle period was highlighted by chippiness from each side, the teams combining for 34 penalty minutes in the second 20 minutes.
The Mavericks were the lone team to score in the third period, lighting the lamp twice with strikes from Jordan Ernst on the power play, his third of the season, and Darian Dziurzynski's seventh of the campaign to push the game to overtime against his former club.
After a scoreless overtime, a goal from Kevin Dufour in the shootout was the difference as KC was turned away on all three shots.
The Mavericks return to Silverstein Eye Centers Arena this weekend for a pair of games against division rival Allen on Friday and Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2018
- Special Teams Hinders Oilers in Loss to Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Stun Stingrays Late - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rays Fall Short to Swamp Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Snag Point in Shootout Loss at Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Justin Wade Assigned to Everblades by AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Florida Everblades
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Busy Promotional Game Week - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Win 3-2 in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- Overhardt Recalled to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Utah's Herbert, Ully Named Co-Winners of CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Utah's Herbert and Ully Each Named ECHL Players of the Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Milan Dealt to Greenville to Complete Future Considerations Trade - Reading Royals
- Newfoundland's Pooley Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Worcester's Gillam Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- 'Blades to Partner with Wendy's for $2 Ticket Special - Florida Everblades
- Railers' Gillam Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Weekly, December 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Home this Friday and Sunday - Maine Mariners
- 'Blades Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Second Week of Homestand - Florida Everblades
- Three IceMen Return from AHL - Jacksonville IceMen
- Krushelnyski Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Fuel Tangle Tuesday in Indy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Pond Returned to Atlanta by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.