Shorthanded Monsters Battle to 6-3 Win over IceHogs
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters beat the Rockford IceHogs 6-3 on Saturday night at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. With the win, the Monsters are now 2-3-1-0 and are currently in fifth place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
Cleveland recorded the only two goals of the opening period beginning with Nick Lappin's first tally as a Monster at 3:04 assisted by Carson Meyer. Brett Gallant sent the Monsters to the first intermission up 2-0 after notching his first marker of the season at 7:04 off feeds from Meyer and Connor McDonald. Rockford's MacKenzie Entwistle put the visitors on the board at 6:25 of the second period, but Zach Jordan responded for Cleveland with his first AHL goal at 11:42 assisted by Evan Polei and Wyatt Newpower. Tyler Sikura recorded a tally at 18:17 off feeds from McDonald and Nathan Gerbe to give the Monsters a 3-1 lead after forty minutes. Matej Chalupa scored for the IceHogs at 3:20 before Trey Fix-Wolansky converted on a power-play opportunity at 3:52 with Gavin Bayreuther and Gerbe picking up assists for the Monsters. Rockford's Alec Regula notched a tally at 5:19, but Fix-Wolansky scored an insurance power-play marker assisted by Meyer and Sikura at 14:51 solidifying Cleveland's 6-3 win.
Cleveland's Matiss Kivlenieks made 27 saves in victory while Rockford's Collin Delia stopped 24 shots in defeat.
The Monsters close out the season series with the Rockford IceHogs tomorrow, February 28, with a 1:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 2 2 2 - - 6
RFD 0 1 2 - - 3
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 30 2/3 2/2 4 min / 2 inf
RFD 30 0/2 1/3 6 min / 3 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Kivlenieks W 27 3 1-0-0
RFD Delia L 24 6 0-1-0
Cleveland Record: 2-3-1-0, 5th Central Division
Rockford Record: 1-6-1-0, 6th Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2021
- Phantoms Rally Late for Standings Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Falls Short of Comeback in 3-2 Loss at Texas - Iowa Wild
- Shorthanded Monsters Battle to 6-3 Win over IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Arseneau Two Goals Help Comets Topple Crunch, Win 4-2 - Utica Comets
- Special Teams Not Enough in Loss to Henderson - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Edged by Laval, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Henderson Sweeps Series against San Diego After 4-2 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
- Fucale and Bears Blank Devils, 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Bears Blank Devils, 3-0 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Return to the Win Column, Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Providence Doubles Pack Saturday - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #7 Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Top Colorado in OT - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wild Forward Adam Beckman Returns to WHL - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Reassign Forward Greg Meireles to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 4 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Monsters Take Four-Game Series on the Road to Cleveland Starting Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Fall 5-3 to Wild in Back and Forth Affair - Texas Stars
- Gulls Topped by Henderson, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Remain Undefeated at Home with 3-2 Win over Gulls - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tucson Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Eagles, 4-3 in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Put Blemish on Wolves' Perfect Record, Win Fourth Straight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Edged, 4-3 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Will Lochead to Pro Tryout Contract
- Cleveland Battles Back to Lock in 5-3 Win over Rochester
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes
- Monsters Announce First-Ever Spanish-Language Broadcast for April 24th Grow the Game Night Versus Chicago Wolves
- Defenseman Brandon Crawley Loaned to Monsters by New York Rangers