Providence Doubles Pack Saturday
Hartford, CT - Former Quinnipiac University Bobcat Alex Whelan scored his first pro goal for the Hartford Wolf Pack Saturday at the XL Center, but Jack Ahcan and Zach Senyshyn had a goal and an assist apiece for the Providence Bruins in a 4-2 Providence victory.
Whelan, who was signed to an AHL contract by the Wolf Pack last March, pushed the rebound of a Darren Raddysh shot just over the goal line at 13:12 of the third period, to cut a Bruin lead to 3-2. Anton Blidh put the game away with an empty-net goal, though, with 15.4 seconds left.
Patrick Newell scored the other Wolf Pack goal, and Jacob Lauko also connected for Providence. Paul Carey had two assists for the Bruins.
The two teams traded goals in a first period that saw both goaltenders kept busy. The Bruins put 17 shots on Adam Huska, who was seeing his first action of the season in the Wolf Pack net, and Providence's Jeremy Swayman was tested 14 times.
Newell opened the scoring for the Wolf Pack at 8:01, with his third goal of the season.
Morgan Barron dropped the puck back along the boards to Tarmo Reunanen at the point, and he passed across the slot to Newell. He reached behind himself to accept the pass and then whipped a quick shot underneath Swayman (27 saves).
Senyshyn equalized for the visitors at 14:30, scoring his team-leading fourth of the year.
A Vincent LoVerde pass attempt on the right-wing boards in the Wolf Pack end was knocked off of Ty Ronning's stick by Ahcan, and the puck came to Senyshyn at the faceoff dot. He stickhandled once and then unloaded a hard snap shot that found the back of the net to the left of Huska (28 saves).
After a scoreless second period, Ahcan tallied his first pro goal 2:55 into the third. It came on a power play, with Barron off for high-sticking, and was the first goal given up by the Hartford penalty kill in 13 times-short on the season. Carey passed the puck out of the right-wing corner, up the boards, to Ahcan at the point. He turned to his forehand and powered a slap shot that got by Huska on the stick side.
Lauko scored what turned out to be the game-winner at 11:45, making the score 3-1 Providence. Senyshyn spun the puck down the right-wing boards to Cameron Hughes, who pulled it off of the end wall, spun away from away from Raddysh and sent a perfect feed across the goal mouth to Lauko, giving Huska no chance.
The same two teams battle again in the Wolf Pack's next game, this Tuesday, March 2 at the XL Center. Faceoff is 1:00 PM. Video streaming is available at theahl.com/AHLTV, and audio can be accessed at www.hartfordwolfpack.com.
Providence Bruins 4 at Hartford Wolf Pack 2
Saturday - XL Center
Providence 1 0 3 - 4
Hartford 1 0 1 - 2
1st Period-1, Hartford, Newell 3 (Reunanen, Barron), 8:01. 2, Providence, Senyshyn 4 (Ahcan), 14:30. Penalties-No Penalties
2nd Period- No Scoring. Penalties-O'Leary Hfd (boarding), 4:46; served by McKinnon Pro (bench minor - too many men), 15:09.
3rd Period-3, Providence, Ahcan 1 (Carey, Hughes), 2:55 (PP). 4, Providence, Lauko 2 (Hughes, Senyshyn), 11:45. 5, Hartford, Whelan 1 (Raddysh, Thompson), 13:12. 6, Providence, Blidh 1 (Carey, Asselin), 19:44 (EN). Penalties-Barron Hfd (high-sticking), 1:24.
Shots on Goal-Providence 17-5-10-32. Hartford 14-5-10-29.
Power Play Opportunities-Providence 1 / 2; Hartford 0 / 1.
Goalies-Providence, Swayman 4-0-0 (29 shots-27 saves). Hartford, Huska 0-1-0 (31 shots-28 saves).
Referees-Jim Curtin (90), Jeremy Tufts (78).
Linesmen-Nick Briganti (58), Glen Cooke (6).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2021
- Phantoms Rally Late for Standings Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Falls Short of Comeback in 3-2 Loss at Texas - Iowa Wild
- Shorthanded Monsters Battle to 6-3 Win over IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Arseneau Two Goals Help Comets Topple Crunch, Win 4-2 - Utica Comets
- Special Teams Not Enough in Loss to Henderson - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Edged by Laval, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Henderson Sweeps Series against San Diego After 4-2 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
- Fucale and Bears Blank Devils, 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Bears Blank Devils, 3-0 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Return to the Win Column, Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Providence Doubles Pack Saturday - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #7 Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Top Colorado in OT - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wild Forward Adam Beckman Returns to WHL - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Reassign Forward Greg Meireles to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 4 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Monsters Take Four-Game Series on the Road to Cleveland Starting Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Fall 5-3 to Wild in Back and Forth Affair - Texas Stars
- Gulls Topped by Henderson, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Remain Undefeated at Home with 3-2 Win over Gulls - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tucson Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Eagles, 4-3 in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Put Blemish on Wolves' Perfect Record, Win Fourth Straight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Edged, 4-3 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.