Crunch Fall to Comets, 4-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Utica Comets, 4-2, tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
Utica jumped out to a quick two-goal lead that Syracuse was unable to overcome. The team came back within one on two separate occasions off goals from Otto Somppi and Ryan Lohin, but eventually fell to the Comets. Syracuse is now 1-4-1-0 on the season and 1-2-0-0 in the 14-game season series against Utica.
Goaltender Sam Montembeault stopped 27-of-30 between the pipes for the Crunch. Jake Kielly earned the win turning aside 28-of-30 in net for the Comets. Utica went 1-for-5 on the power play, while Syracuse was 0-for-6.
The Comets were first on the board two minutes into the game when Vincent Arseneau skated in down the left side and fired in a wrister. Utica doubled their lead at 8:42 while on the power play. Kole Lind got a stick on Mitch Reinke's right point shot to redirect it past Montembeault.
The Crunch stole one back with five minutes remaining in the opening frame. Gage Goncalves threw a centering pass for Somppi to sweep in from the slot.
Utica regained their two-goal lead at the 13:01 mark of the second period when the team capitalized on a giveaway in the trapezoid. Montembeault got caught behind the net leaving Arseneau an open cage.
Syracuse quickly responded with a goal of their own three minutes later. Brady Keeper's long-range shot was stopped, but Lohin was parked in front to clean up the rebound.
The Comets added an empty-netter in the final minute to secure their second consecutive win against the Crunch.
The Crunch host the Rochester Americans this Monday at 4 p.m.
For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Gage Goncalves and Jaydon Dureau made their professional debuts tonight. With an assist, Goncalves also recorded his first pro point.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2021
- Phantoms Rally Late for Standings Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Falls Short of Comeback in 3-2 Loss at Texas - Iowa Wild
- Shorthanded Monsters Battle to 6-3 Win over IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Arseneau Two Goals Help Comets Topple Crunch, Win 4-2 - Utica Comets
- Special Teams Not Enough in Loss to Henderson - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Edged by Laval, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Henderson Sweeps Series against San Diego After 4-2 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
- Fucale and Bears Blank Devils, 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Bears Blank Devils, 3-0 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Return to the Win Column, Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Providence Doubles Pack Saturday - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #7 Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Top Colorado in OT - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wild Forward Adam Beckman Returns to WHL - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Reassign Forward Greg Meireles to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 4 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Monsters Take Four-Game Series on the Road to Cleveland Starting Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Fall 5-3 to Wild in Back and Forth Affair - Texas Stars
- Gulls Topped by Henderson, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Remain Undefeated at Home with 3-2 Win over Gulls - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tucson Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Eagles, 4-3 in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Put Blemish on Wolves' Perfect Record, Win Fourth Straight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Edged, 4-3 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Reassign Nikita Pavlychev to Orlando Solar Bears
- Crunch Edge Amerks, 4-3, in Overtime
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch to Taxi Squad
- Florida Panthers Reassign Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok to Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3