Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The TinCaps sent a sell-out crowd of 8,007 fans at Parkview Field home happy on Friday night, slugging two home runs in a 3-2 win over the Lake County Captains (Cleveland Indians affiliate). Fort Wayne has now won four games in a row.
The TinCaps (32-34) emphatically took the lead in the bottom of the first on a mammoth two-out, two-run home run from Agustin Ruiz. The 19-year-old launched a 424-foot blast onto the right-field concourse, scoring Tucupita Marcano in the process. After going his first 51 games this season without a home run, Ruiz now has two dingers in his last six games.
The Captains (39-28) scored an unearned run in the third when Bo Naylor doubled and later came home to score on a fielding error.
Ryan Weathers struck out Will Benson to end the third inning and his outing, recording four strikeouts in three innings of work while allowing just two hits and the lone unearned run.
Fort Wayne tacked on an insurance run via a solo home run in the fifth inning by Michael Curry that crashed onto the roof of the home run porch in left field. Curry now has three home runs this season and is slashing .321/.400/.536 since May 26 (18 games) with 6 doubles, 2 home runs and 11 RBIs.
The TinCaps bullpen followed Weathers' start with five straight scoreless innings, as Jose Quezada (two innings), Adrian Martinez (two innings), and Austin Smith (one inning) kept the fourth through eight innings clean with five strikeouts.
The Captains made it interesting in the ninth, when Benson smacked his league-leading 17th home run of the season with no one on base and one out. An infield single put a runner on first with one out, but Smith induced a double play ball to end the game.
The 'Caps bullpen finished the night with just one run allowed in six innings on four hits. During the current four-game win streak, Fort Wayne's bullpen has allowed two earned runs in 17.0 innings of work (1.06 ERA) with 17 strikeouts and three walks.
Saturday, June 15 vs. Lake County (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Efraín Contreras
- Captains Probable Starter: RHP Cody Morris
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Extended Hours for the Orchard Team Store at Parkview Field During Holiday Season
- Update on 2019 HolidayFest "Night of Lights"
- TinCaps Opening Day 2020 Tickets on Sale for Holiday Season
- TinCaps to Become "Manzanas Luchadores de Fort Wayne" for Select Games in 2020
- TinCaps Seek Military Salutes for 2020 Season