Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington
Peoria, IL - Thanks to a five-run fourth inning, the Peoria Chiefs defeated the Burlington Bees 8-5 Friday night at Dozer Park. The Chiefs improve to 29-38 on the season with two games left before the all-star break.
The Bees drew first blood in the top of the first against Chiefs starter Colin Schmid. With runners on first and second, Spencer Griffin singled home Jordyn Adams for a 1-0 lead. Burlington loaded the bases but Schmid struck out Connor Fitzsimons to end the frame.
The Chiefs tied the game in the bottom of the third against Burlington starter Robinson Pina. Wadye Ynfante was hit by a pitch to start the inning and stole second during Nolan Gorman's at-bat. Ynfante reached third on Gorman's groundout and scored on a groundout by Delvin Perez to tie the game at one.
Burlington regained the lead in the top of the fourth. A walk, single and walk loaded the bases before a bases loaded balk gave the Bees a 2-1 lead. After a single made it 3-1, Franyel Casadilla took over on the mound and loaded the bases on a walk and single. Two more runs crossed the plate before Casadilla struck out Harrison Wenson to end the inning.
Peoria responded by sending 10 batters to the plate in the bottom of the fourth. Brady Whalen, Juan Yepez and Bryce Denton walked to load the bases. Whalen and Yepez scored on Alexis Wilson's double to cut the deficit to 5-3 while knocking Pina out of the game. With one out, Ynfante singled to score Denton, and Wilson scored the tying run on a throwing error from Burlington left fielder Nonie Williams. After a single by Gorman to put runners on the corners, Perez bunted for a single and Ynfante scored to put the Chiefs ahead 6-5.
The Chiefs continued to build their lead in the bottom of the fifth. Denton and Wilson singled before Josh Shaw singled to score Denton from second for a 7-5 lead. Ynfante singled to score Wilson, his second RBI of the night for the 8-5 lead.
Schmid took the no decision, pitching three innings while allowing five runs on four hits with four walks and a season-high six strikeouts. Casadilla pitched one shutout inning allowing one hit with one walk and two strikeouts. Parker Kelly (1-1) earned his first win of the season, pitching three shutout innings allowing one hit with one walk and three strikeouts. Evan Sisk pitched the final inning allowing only one hit and notching one strikeout en route to his third save of the season.
The Chiefs continue their series with the Burlington Bees Saturday at 6:35 p.m. Promotions can be found on the team website or social media accounts. Peoria will start RH Michael Brettell (2-3, 4.25) against Burlington LH Hector Yan (1-2, 3.86). The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.tv to subscribers.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.