River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin
Davenport, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits outhit the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Friday night at Modern Woodmen Park, but the one they needed in the final inning evaded them as they fell by a 3-2 score in the opening game of the series. With one run already in and the tying run at second base in the bottom of the ninth, Ross Adolph's hard line drive toward left was stabbed by Wisconsin's third baseman to end the game.
The River Bandits (41-23) collected nine hits to Wisconsin's three, but the Timber Rattlers made theirs count. Until the top of the ninth when Connor McVey beat out an infield single, both of their hits were home runs. The initial blast was a two-run shot off the bat of David Fry in the third inning. His eighth of the year immediately followed a two-out walk to Brice Turang. Gabriel Garcia led off the fourth inning with a solo blast to make it 3-1.
Quad Cities initially led 1-0 on Trey Dawson's bases loaded infield single in the bottom of the second. However, the offense missed opportunities in the ensuing innings and faced a two-run deficit in the ninth as a result. The inning began with a fly out to right by Carlos Machado, but Freudis Nova followed with a double to left. After a David Hensley ground out for the second out, Ruben Castro extended the game with an infield single toward short. Dawson followed with another run-producing hit to cut the deficit to 3-2 and move the tying run into scoring position for the top of the order. Adolph made solid contact on the second pitch of the at bat, but hit it right to Garcia to end the rally.
Nova went 4-4 with a double to improve his batting average to .302 on the season. Dawson was the only other player in the game with multiple hits.
Daniels took the loss after surrendering the two home runs and issuing a career-high six walks over 5.0 innings on the hill. Reliever Devin Conn tossed 3.0 scoreless innings out of the bullpen and fellow right-hander Joey Gonzalez worked a scoreless top of the ninth.
The River Bandits continue their final series prior to the all-star break on Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Jose Bravo (0-1, 4.26) will take the ball for the Bandits against LHP Scott Sunitsch (4-6, 3.68) of Wisconsin. It will be Star Wars Night at Modern Woodmen Park featuring a special Rascal Chewy bobblehead giveaway for the first 1,500 fans in attendance. The game is presented by TBK Bank.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations