Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (33-34) allowed four sixth inning runs in a 5-2 series-opening loss to the Beloit Snappers (27-39) on a rainy Friday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars have dropped three straight games.
The Cougars offense got off to a good start. Eduardo Diaz led off the Cougar first with a double and reached third on an error by Beloit right fielder Anthony Churlin. Diaz scored on Jose Herrera's RBI ground out. Buddy Kennedy's solo homer made it 2-0 after one.
Cougar starter Ryan Weiss locked down the Beloit offense over his first four innings. He was helped by Joey Rose in the third inning. With a runner at third and one out, Rose dove to field a grounder at first base, threw home from a knee and nabbed Max Schuemann at the plate to keep the Cougars in front 2-0.
The only run Weiss allowed was in the fifth. Kennedy committed a throwing error to keep the inning alive with two outs. Joseph Pena followed up with an RBI single.
In the sixth, the Cougars called on Andy Toelken. The right-hander hit his first batter, walked the next, then allowed a bunt single to load the bases. The game-tying run came across on catcher's interference. Toelken went on to hit a batter to force in the go-ahead run and walk another to make it 4-2. Toleken's night was done without recording an out. Ryan Miller came out of the pen to induce a double play, but it forced in another run.
Toelken (4-2) took the loss. He was charged with four runs on just one hit. Bryce Conley (3-3) settled in to throw six innings of two-run ball to earn the win. The Cougars mustered just three hits off reliever Joe DeMers (1), who picked up the save in three shutout frames.
The Cougars and Snappers play the middle game of the three-game set on Saturday night at 6:30 PM. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.