Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss
Lansing, MI - Chris Betts hit his 12th home run of the season in the Bowling Green Hot Rods 3-2 loss to the Lansing Lugnuts on Friday night at Cooley Law School stadium in Lansing, MI in the opener of a three-game series. The Hot Rods fall to 38-30 with the loss and can be eliminated from the first-half Eastern Division wild card race with either a loss or a Lake County win on Saturday. The Hot Rods will continue their series with the Lugnuts on Saturday night with a 6:05 PM CDT first pitch.
Bowling Green got to Lugnuts starter Josh Winckowski in the first inning with one out to take an early lead. Wander Franco worked a one-out walk to bring Chris Betts to the plate, who promptly drove the first pitch he saw over the right-field wall that scored Franco. The long-ball was Betts' 12th of the year and gave the Hot Rods a 2-0 edge.
The Lugnuts cut into the Hot Rods lead in the fourth without getting a hit against Cristopher Sanchez, the Hot Rods starter. Griffin Conine, Jake Brodt, and Hagen Danner all worked walks and Rafael Lantigua lifted a sacrifice fly to center field, making it a 2-1 game with Bowling Green still in front.
Lansing took the lead in the eighth against Bowling Green reliever Trey Cumbie in his second inning of work. Luis De Los Santos doubled off the wall in right and scored when D.J. Neal doubled to right-center to tie the game. Neal went to third on a wild pitch and scored on Gariel Moreno's sacrifice fly to give the Lugnuts a 3-2 advantage while taking the lead for the first time all night. The Hot Rods got the leadoff man aboard in the ninth with Grant Witherspoon working a walk, but Roberto Alvarez grounded into a game-ending double play to drop the Hot Rods to 38-30.
Sanchez tossed six innings while holding Lansing to a run on two hits with four walks and two strikeouts in a no-decision. Cumbie (2-1) allowed two runs on five hits over two innings in a loss while also suffering his first blown save of the season.
Notes: Betts has a four-game hit streak... He also had his 10th multi-RBI game of the season... Franco extended his hit streak to five games... Johnson has a hit in three-consecutive games... Sanchez earned a quality start, his first of the season... It's the 23rd quality start of the year for a Hot Rods pitcher... His six innings of work set a new personal season-high... He tied a career-high with four walks... It's the fifth time in his career he's done so... Cumbie blew his first save of the season for Bowling Green... The Hot Rods were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position... Bowling green is 5-3 against Lansing this season... The four-game losing streak is the longest losing streak of the season for BG... The Hot Rods are 6-7 in the month of June... They are also 12-9 in games that open a series this season... Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Hot Rods and Legends Announce 2020 Exhibition in Lexington, KY
- Hot Rods Announce Second-Annual Charity Dinner and Silent Auction
- Hot Rods to Join Copa de la Diversion as Bolidos
- Hot Rods Will Host 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game at Bowling Green Ballpark