Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win
Burlington beat Kane County 7-6 Thursday night, while Cedar Rapids was losing, reducing the Bees magic number for a first half wild card playoff spot to two games with three to play.
Harrison Wenson continued his hot June run with a first inning, two RBI double, driving in Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan. Both had singled to open the game. Burlington led 2-0 after their first turn at bat.
Starter Kyle Tyler allowed one hit through the first three innings but ran into trouble in the fourth. He allowed three runs on four hits, including a two-run home run. Parker Joe Robinson replace him and shut the Cougars down. All-Star Jose Soriano came on for Burlington to start the fifth, with Kane County ahead 3-2.
The Bees handed him a 7-6 lead in the top of the sixth. D. C. Arendas singled. Wenson walked. A wild pitch moved both runners up. Spencer Griffin walked to load the bases. One out later, Tim Millard singled to left, scoring Arendas and Wenson.
Griffin stopped at second. After another out, Adams singled in Griffin. Maitan singled in Millard. The cougars changed pitchers and Nonie Williams greeted him with an RBI single. Bees up 7-3.
One hit, two errors and a sacrifice fly brought in three Cougar runs in the bottom of the sixth, but Soriano held on, threw two more innings and won his fifth game of the year.
Luke Lind tossed a 1, 2, 3 bottom of the ninth to earn his first save of the season.
With two more hits Thursday, Wenson is 11 for 28 in his last ten games, a .393 clip. During that stretch he has nine RBI.
Adams, Maitan and Griffin all had two hits in the game. Griffin stroked his fourth triple of the season. Burlington tries to win its first playoff spot since 2014 when they go to Peoria for the final three games of the season. The set begins Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.