Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Josh Winder and Derek Molina quieted the Clinton LumberKings in a 3-1 Cedar Rapids Kernels win Friday at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Winder received credit for his team-high-tying fifth victory, and Molina secured his team-leading ninth save in 10 chances.
Friday's win, along with an 8-5 loss by the Burlington Bees (38-30), put Cedar Rapids (37-31) one game behind second place and a first-half wild-card berth. The Kernels, which own the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Bees, can earn the postseason bid by finishing in second place outright or as part of a two-team tie.
Winder (5-1), a Midwest League All-Star, gave the Kernels his fourth consecutive quality start within his last appearance in the first half of the 2019 season. He posted six shutout innings before allowing a leadoff solo home run to Jerar Encarnacion during the seventh. Winder's fifth victory put him in a tie with Austin Schulfer for the team lead.
The Kernels gave Winder three runs of support in the opening frames. Wander Javier hit a first-inning RBI single to drive in Yeltsin Encarnacion and later scored on a double from Chris Williams. In the fourth inning, Jared Akins led off with a double coupled with an error and came home during Gabe Snyder's RBI groundout for a 3-0 Kernels advantage.
Molina protected a 3-1 lead over the final two innings of Friday's victory. The biggest threat occurred in the ninth when he gave up back-to-back singles to start the frame, but he responded with consecutive strikeouts and induced a game-ending popout to earn the save.
George Soriano (0-5) was saddled with a tough loss in a complete-game performance for Clinton (33-34). He yielded three unearned runs over a personal-best eight innings pitched while recording a game-high seven strikeouts.
Cedar Rapids and Clinton return to action Saturday at 6:35 p.m., and the probable pitchers are Kernels right-hander Andrew Cabezas (2-5, 4.98) and LumberKings right-hander Jake Walters (0-1, 4.70). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the contest on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Postgame fireworks, presented by Procter & Gamble, will follow Saturday's tilt. Belle, Cinderella, Jasmine, and Tinker Bell will be at the ballpark on Princess Night which includes a free tiara giveaway for the first 1,000 fans. Plus, the first 500 fans also receive a free clear tote bag courtesy of Mercy Medical Center. The Kernels will wear special jerseys as part of Especially For You Night, and the jerseys will be auctioned off during the game to support the Especially For You Walk.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Cedar Rapids Experiences Deja Vu at Clinton
- J.T. Perez placed on 7-day Injured List; Alex Schick activated from 7-day Injured List; LaMonte Wade assigned to Pensacola
- Clinton Dominates Wednesday's Opener
- Matt Wallner joins Kernels from Elizabethton
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale