Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3
Midland, Mich. - Jacob Amaya's two-run double to the fence in right-center field with one out in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted the Great Lakes Loons to a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over the Dayton Dragons on Friday night. The game was the start to a three-game series that will close out the first half.
The Dragons took a 1-0 lead to the bottom of the ninth before the Loons forced extra innings. Then Dayton took a 3-1 lead to the bottom of the 10th before Great Lakes scored three to win.
The outcome spoiled a tremendous performance by Dayton pitchers over the first eight innings. Starter Ricky Salinas allowed just three base runners over six shutout innings, giving up two hits and one walk with six strikeouts. Adrian Rodriguez followed Salinas and fired two scoreless innings to hold a 1-0 lead.
The Dragons scored the game's only run over the first eight innings in the fifth when Bren Spillane walked, stole second, and scored on Brian Rey's single.
In the bottom of the ninth, Great Lakes' Niko Hulsizer led off the inning with a game-tying home run against Dragons reliever Eddy Demurias to make it 1-1. It was Hulsizer's 15th homer of the year, second most in the league. Great Lakes nearly won the game with two outs in the ninth when Leonel Valera lined a double to right field with a runner at first, but Dayton second baseman Randy Ventura made a perfect relay throw to the plate and catcher Jay Schuyler applied the tag to prevent the winning from scoring.
The Dragons scored two runs in the top of the 10th, taking advantage of an error to bring in the first run and then adding an insurance run on Ventura's RBI single to make it 3-1.
But Great Lakes collected two quick hits to start the bottom of the 10th against Demurias to run the score to 3-2 and had runners at first and second with no one out. Demurias got a big strikeout for the first out, but then fell behind Amaya 3-0. He came back to run the count full, but Amaya drilled a 3-2 pitch to the gap in right center to easily bring in both runners and end the game.
The Dragons finished with just four hits. Ventura was 2 for 4 to extend his hitting streak to 10 straight games. Michael Siani's eight-game hitting streak ended with an 0 for 5 night.
Up Next: The Dragons (27-41) will meet the Loons (42-23) in the second game of the three-game series on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. Connor Curlis (2-1, 2.45) will start for the Dragons against Jose Martinez (4-1, 3.25).
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Former Dragons Earn Reds Minor League Awards
- Ticket Sales Begin Friday for Nitro Circus in Dayton
- Nitro Circus Tour Coming to Fifth Third Field in 2020
- Dragons Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Dayton Business Journal Selects Dayton Dragons, Robert Murphy for Community Awards