Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win
GENEVA, IL - On a wet, rainy night in Kane County, the Snappers bats erupted in the sixth inning to propel the Snappers to a 5-2 victory on Friday night. The recipe tonight; scoring five unanswered runs and getting excellent pitching on the mound.
Kane County would get the scoring started out of the gates, plating two runs in the bottom of the first. However, that would be all the runs that the Cougars could collect off Snappers starter Bryce Conley this evening.
Conley was absolutely masterful tonight on the hill tossing six excellent innings for Beloit. After giving up a 2-run homer in the first, Conley would find his groove to stifle Cougars hitters all night long.
The night would come to end for Conley after the sixth inning, after he was relieved by Joe DeMers who earned the three-inning save out of the 'pen. Conley would finish the day with the win in six innings of work, three hits, two runs, and seven strikeouts on his final line.
DeMers was first out of the bullpen for Beloit and picked up right where Conley left off. DeMers threw three scoreless innings in relief, while giving up just one hits and striking out one to secure the victory for Beloit.
For the Snappers offensively, the bats got going in the middle stages, specifically the fifth and sixth innings.
In the fifth, the Snappers would cut the Cougars lead in half due to some timely hitting. After a defensive miscue by Kane County to put runners on first and second, Joseph Pena would cash in by singling up the middle to plate Skyler Weber and the Snappers first run of the game.
The bats would erupt though in the sixth inning, as Beloit plated four runs to take their first lead of the ballgame.
After the first three men of the inning reached, Devin Foyle would trot down to first base after catcher's interference was called to even the game up at two apiece. Moments later, Max Schuemann would be hit by a pitch to plate another run for the Snappers first lead of the game.
Still with no outs, Weber would walk with the bases loaded to score another run and give the Snappers the 4-2 lead. Beloit would then cap the inning off when Cobie Vance grounded out to plate the Snappers fourth run of the inning and give them three run lead.
The Snappers would not look back from there, finishing the game out strong to secure the series opener win by a final score of 5-2.
Beloit will be back in action tomorrow in the final night game of the first half in Kane County with first pitch scheduled for 6:30. Beloit will finish up the first half on Sunday before having a 3-day break for the All-Star Game.
The Snappers will return home to Pohlman Field next weekend with a star-studded lineup of promotions. Friday is First Responder's Nights, Saturday is Fireworks night, and Sunday is Nickelodeon Day featuring PAW Patrol, so make sure you have your tickets for all the summer fun at Pohlman Field!
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss