Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities
DAVENPORT, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers were outhit 9-3 by the Quad Cities River Bandits on Friday night a Modern Woodmen Park. The Rattlers made the most of their hits as they clubbed a pair of home runs to defeat the first half Western Division champions 3-2.
The River Bandits (41-23) had two on with two outs when Wisconsin starting pitcher Adam Hill walked Ruben Castro to load the bases and extend the inning. An infield single by Trey Dawson was able to get the run home for a 1-0 lead.
A two-out walk led to Wisconsin (31-36) taking the lead in the top of the third inning. Brice Turang drew the free pass with two outs in the frame. That brought David Fry to the plate and Fry cranked his eighth home run of the season to the berm seating beyond the wall in left-center and the Rattlers were up 2-1.
In the fourth inning, Gabriel García hit a lead-off home run and the Rattlers moved their lead to 3-1.
Hill settled in after the second inning as he pitched through the sixth without allowing another run. The Rattlers All-Star starting pitcher scattered six hits, walked two, and struck out six before turning the 3-1 lead over to the bullpen.
Victor Castaneda relieved Hill to start the seventh and he worked two scoreless, hitless innings with four strikeouts.
Chad Whitmer took over in the bottom of the ninth inning and got the first out before giving up a double to Freudis Nova. That double was Nova's fourth hit of the night. Whitmer got the second out of the inning on a grounder to short, but the game took an interesting turn on the next three batters.
Ruben Castro reached on an infield single to move Nova to third base to keep the game alive and bring the winning run to the plate. Dawson drove in his second run of the game with a single to right and the Bandits were within a run.
Ross Adolph stepped to the plate and hit a line drive ticketed for the left field corner. But García made a leaping grab of the liner at third base and held on for the final out of the game.
The win was the second straight for the Rattlers.
Wisconsin had not had a homer since June 8. The Rattlers have four homers in thirteen games this month. Fry has two home runs and García has the other two round-trippers.
The series continues on Saturday night at Modern Woodmen Park. Scott Sunitsch (4-6, 4.37) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. The River Bandits have named Jose Bravo (2-2, 3.89) as their starter. Game time is 6:35pm The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:15pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 002 100 000 - 3 3 0
QC 010 000 001 - 2 9 0
David Fry (8th, 1 on in 3rd inning off Brett Daniels, 2 out)
Gabriel García (6th, 0 on in 4th inning off Brett Daniels, 0 out)
WP: Adam Hill (6-4)
LP: Brett Daniels (3-4)
SAVE: Chad Whitmer (3)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.