Extra Baseball Leads to Win
MIDLAND, Mich. - It's safe to say we didn't expect the ending we received based on the performances of both starting pitchers on Friday night. But, a tension filled 10th inning culminated in a Jacob Amaya two-run double in the bottom half to lift the Great Lakes Loons to a 4-3 win against the Dayton Dragons on Pride Night at Dow Diamond.
Robinson Ortiz was masterful in his start for the Loons (42-23) striking out the side in his first two innings and finished with eight total over five innings. He allowed just one run on two hits. Ricky Salinas did Ortiz one better tossing six shutout frames with six strikeouts for Dayton.
Even with each player turning in a terrific start, the margins were thin as we entered the 9th inning. Only a Brian Rey single in the 5th inning was the difference as the Dragons held a slim 1-0 lead.
Momentum swung in the Loons favor as slugger Niko Hulsizer clobbered his 15th home run of the season to tie the game and the more than 2,700 in attendance were thinking a walk-off win was coming in a matter of minutes. With Chris Roller on first base, Leonel Valera singled into the right field corner, allowing Roller enough time to round third base and make a dash for home. However, a relay from the warning track narrowly gunned Roller down and we were headed to extras.
With runners starting on second base in extra innings, the Dragons took advantage plating two runs in the first three at-bats of the top of the 10th inning to take a 3-1 lead.
But, Great Lakes would only need four batters to pull out a victory. Dan Robinson singled to put runners at the corners, Miguel Vargas singled home a run to the cut the deficit in half, and after a strikeout Amaya doubled to right field to bring home both runs needed to preserve the victory.
Justin Hagenman (W, 4-1) cannot be forgotten in all the hoopla as he pitched five innings of relief and didn't allow an earned run with four strikeouts.
Jacob Amaya: GW 2-run 2B in 10th
Miguel Vargas: 2-for-5, 3B, RBI
Niko Hulsizer: 1-for-4, HR (15)
Robinson Ortiz: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
Saturday: Home Improvement Night feat. appearance by Richard Karn (Al Borland)
Sunday: Prostate Cancer Awareness Day feat. postgame Father's Day catch on the field
June 17: Midwest League All-Star Game (South Bend, Ind.)
June 20: Lucky Hot Dog Night feat. X-Pogo Stunt Team
June 21: Polish Heritage Night feat. Feel Good Fridays & Extra Innings
June 22: Soccer Night feat. Birdzerk
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.