Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA - Jerar Encarnacion's 10th home run of the season was not enough for the Clinton LumberKings who fell 3-1 to the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Friday night at Perfect Game Field. The game was the quickest of the season for the LumberKings (33-34) and was played in just two hours and 11 minutes.
A reason for the quick pace was the strong start from George Soriano. He turned in a career high eight innings and was given credit for a complete game despite being hung with the loss.
All three of Soriano's (0-5) runs allowed were unearned as Clinton fielders combined to be charged with four errors.
Cedar Rapids (37-31) started the scoring in the bottom of the first with a two-run rally. Yeltsin Encarnacion reached on a Christopher Torres two base throwing error and then scored two batters later on a Wander Javier RBI single. Two batters following the single, Chris Williams capped the rally with an RBI double.
In the bottom of the third, the Kernels scored their final run of the night. Jared Akins doubled off the wall in right to open the inning and moved to third on the play on a fielding error by Encarnacion. Gabe Snyder then forced home Akins with an RBI ground out to second.
The runs were more than enough support for Cedar Rapids starter Josh Winder. He worked seven innings and allowed just one run on a Jerar Encarnacion seventh inning home run to center field. Winder (5-1) earned the win for his time out and struck out seven while walking none.
Derek Molina worked the final two innings for the Kernels and earned his ninth save of the year. He worked around back-to-back singles in the ninth and struck out four over his time out.
The LumberKings will meet the Cedar Rapids Kernels for the second game of their three-game series on Saturday night. Clinton will throw Jake Walters (0-1, 4.70) while Cedar Rapids will tap right-handed pitcher Andrew Cabezas (2-5, 4.98). First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:20 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Lawless Headlines Hot Stove Banquet
- Lawless to Lead LumberKings in 2020
- Broskowski Named New Voice of LumberKings
- Clinton LumberKings Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- LumberKings Respond to Major League Baseball's proposal to Eliminate 42 Teams