Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap
BELOIT, WI - The Snappers seemed primed for a quick double-header on Thursday night, as they breezed through a Game 1 shutout of Quad Cities in just an hour and 45 minutes. That was not the case, however, as their 8-6 loss to the River Bandits in the second game took over three hours.
Beloit played perhaps one of its best games of the season in Game 1, knocking off the first-place River Bandits- who have already clinched a first-half playoff spot- 2-0. Right-hander Rafael Kelly(1-0, 0.00 ERA), making his first start for the Snappers after beginning 2019 with Class A- Advanced Stockton, was marvelous. He needed just 56 pitches to fire six scoreless frames and allowed just three hits. Kelly didn't walk a batter and struck out three.
The only offense Beloit needed came in the sixth inning. Anthony Churlin and Devin Foyle both hit their first home runs of the year, the only damage done to Cody Deason (3-3, 3.94 ERA). The River Bandits starter threw 5 2/3 innings, giving up four hits while walking one and striking out six.
The nightcap on Thursday was the antithesis to Game 1, taking nearly twice as long to complete. Despite jumping out to an early four-run lead, the Snappers could not contain Quad Cities in the 8-6 loss.
Beloit opened a 4-0 lead in the second inning thanks to RBIs from Devin Foyle, Cobie Vance and Lester Madden. Starter Reid Birlingmair (2-3, 4.15 ERA) ran into a wall in the third inning, however, allowing the River Bandits to answer with six runs, punctuated by RBI singles from Astros No. 6 prospect Freudis Nova and No. 27 prospect Alex McKenna.
Quad Cities continued its onslaught with a solo shot courtesy of Astros No. 28 prospect Ross Adolph in the fourth and an eighth-inning RBI single from Astros No. 25 prospect Jeremy Pena. A Churlin RBI single in the sixth inning briefly brought the Snappers within a run, but Beloit could not sustain any rallies beyond that.
The Snappers did have several nice offensive performances on the day. Foyle continues to carve apart River Bandits pitching, as he as an extra-base hit in each of Beloit's six contests with Quad Cities in 2019. Gridley went 2-for-4 with two doubles in the nightcap, giving him five doubles in the series, while Madden also went 2-for-4.
Beloit travels to Geneva tomorrow for a second consecutive double-header, this time with the Cougars. Joe Demers (0-1, 5.71 ERA) gets the ball for the Snappers in Game 1 while Bryce Conley (2-3, 3.55 ERA) toes the rubber in Game 2.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss