Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win
Comstock Park, MI: The South Bend Cubs offense came alive on Friday night with a 5-3 win over the West Michigan Whitecaps to begin the final series of the Midwest League's first half. With 13 hits, the Cubs got back on track and provided enough run support for starter Derek Casey to earn his fourth win of the season.
South Bend scored two runs in each of the 3rd and 5th innings to go up 4-2 on the Whitecaps. The heart of Buddy Bailey's order did the job tonight as Andy Weber and Tyler Durna each had at least three hits. Through five innings, Weber was 3/3 with 2 RBI. The former Virginia Cavalier finished with a 4/5 night.
Durna continues his hot stretch at the plate after hitting a towering home run against Lansing in the series finale at Four Winds Field. Durna brought in three RBI to rise his season total to 35, which leads the team.
On the mound, Casey ties the team high in wins along with Faustino Carrera with four. In six innings and a quality start, the right-hander gave up just one earned run and struck out five batters. Out of the bullpen, lefty Eugenio Palma earned the three-inning save and punched out four of his own.
Although South Bend is already eliminated from first half playoff contention, this series is an opportunity for confidence to rise and streaks to begin going into the All-Star break starting on Sunday night. Tomorrow's game two of the series is set for 7:05 PM with All-Star righty Cam Sanders on the mound for South Bend.
Following the conclusion of the series, Sanders, Weber, Jeff Passantino, Brailyn Marquez and Riley Thompson will represent South Bend in the All-Star Game on Tuesday night.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bees Trim Wild Card Race to Two Games with 7-6 Win - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- Magic Number Down to One Despite Loss - Lake County Captains
- Big Fourth Inning Gives Chiefs Win Against Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Come up Just Short in 3-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fans Enjoy Fireworks in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Winder, Molina Cut Down LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kennedy Homers in Series-Opening Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Four-Run Inning Propels Snappers to Series Opener Win - Beloit Snappers
- Extra Baseball Leads to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Betts Homers, Hot Rods Lose Late Lead in 3-2 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Encarnacion Homers in Clinton 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Play Spoiler, Rally Past Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Add Reliever Paulino - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lake County (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win, 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers shut out Quad Cities in Game 1, can't hang on in nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Split Twin Bill in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.