San Diego Gulls Name Sam Carrick Team Captain
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has named center Sam Carrick team captain.
"Sam exemplifies exactly what you're looking for in a player," said Gulls head coach Kevin Dineen. "He's dedicated, he's very sincere and he has a strong voice in the locker room. Unanimously, he was the right choice to wear the 'C' for our team."
Carrick, 27 (2/4/92), who is entering his fourth AHL season with San Diego, will become the third captain in Gulls history after serving the past two seasons as an alternate captain. Carrick has earned 100-142=242 points in 395 career American Hockey League (AHL) games with the Gulls, Rockford IceHogs and Toronto Marlies. He has also earned 1-2=3 points in 25 career NHL games, appearing in six games with Anaheim in the 2018-19 season and earning his first point (assist) with the Ducks Mar. 30 at Edmonton.
"Being named captain is a huge honor," said Carrick. "We are a team, and everyone needs to be a leader, not just those who wear a letter on their sweater. It is a privilege to play for San Diego and in front of our fans, and we don't take the impact we are able to have on the community for granted. I'm excited for the future of the organization and this is a responsibility I don't take lightly."
Acquired from Chicago with Spencer Abbott in exchange for Kenton Helgesen and Anaheim's seventh-round selection in the 2019 NHL Draft, Carrick has earned one assist in three games this season, while he led the Gulls in points (32-29=61), goals, power-play goals (11) and shorthanded goals (3), and ranked second in assists (29) during the 2018-19 season.
Selected by Toronto in the fifth round (144th overall) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Carrick ranked tied for fourth among AHL leaders in goals in 2018-19 and set a Gulls single-season record in points, goals and shorthanded goals, while matching the club mark for power-play goals. Carrick helped lead San Diego to the Western Conference Finals, earning 7-7=14 points in 16 Calder Cup Playoff games, co-leading San Diego in goals and ranking second in scoring.
Images from this story
San Diego Gulls center Sam Carrick
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Iowa Continues Hot Start with 6-4 Win at Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ryan Poehling's Game-Winning Goal Propels Rocket to 3-2 Win over Providence Bruins, Extends Win Streak to Three - Laval Rocket
- Rockford's Fast Start Stops Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Crush Checkers to Stay Undefeated - Utica Comets
- Dries Registers 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' in Eagles 3-2 Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Andreoff and Frost Record 3-Point Nights in 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Use Big Second to Beat Sens - Belleville Senators
- Bears Erupt for Five, Top Sens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Begin Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Stumbles in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Lose to Comets 8-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Driedger, T-Birds Edged out by Wolf Pack, 1-0 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Name Sam Carrick Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with RPM Raceway for 2019-20 Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Announce Roster Moves - Rochester Americans
- Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Heat Start Road Swing at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, October 18 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Flyers Loan Connor Bunnaman to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Travis Boyd and Martin Fehervary from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bears, October 18 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- San Diego Gulls to Host Inaugural Season of Giving Events
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Jamie Drysdale to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Jacob Perreault to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Gulls to Host Halloween Trick Or Treat Drive-Thru at THE RINKS - Poway Ice October 31
- Irvine Ice Foundation Adds San Diego Jr. Gulls and Lady Gulls Hockey Programs