Bears Use Big Second to Beat Sens
The Hershey Bears used a four-goal second period to pace themselves to a 5-1 win over the Belleville Senators Friday night at CAA Arena.
Jordan Murray scored for the Sens while Marcus Hogberg made 26 saves. Pheonix Copley turned away 31 shots for Hershey while Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, Mike Sgarbossa, Liam O'Brien, Beck Malenstyn and Steve Whitney scored.
After failing to convert on an early power play opportunity, the Sens struck moments after at 3:56 of the first as Murray wired his first of the season on a one-timer from the slot after Alex Formenton had teed him up with a lovely drop pass.
The Bears tied the game at 10:37 through Jonsson-Fjallby's third of the year as on a broken two-on-one for Hershey, the puck found the Bears forward wide open in the slot after a pass out of the corner by Brian Pinho and his shot beat Hogberg after hitting the skate of Andreas Englund.
Hershey grabbed a 2-1 lead at 6:17 of the second frame as with a lot of traffic out front Sgarbossa got a tip on Christian Djoos' point shot to bag his fourth of the year. The Senators nearly found an equalizer as off of Drake Batherson's drop pass, Filip Chlapik clanged the right post as the Czech forward came close to his first of the year.
The visitors pushed its lead to 3-1 through O'Brien as Phillippe Maillet stole the puck from Vitaly Abramov before laying the puck for O'Brien who wired his second of the season at 14:43. It was 4-1, and then quickly 5-1, as the Bears had goals from Malenstyn and Whitney in a 15-second span to give them a commanding lead after 40.
It was a scoreless third period as the Sens put 11 shots on goal but couldn't find a way past Copley while Joseph LaBate and Conner Hobbs dropped the gloves inside the final 90 seconds.
Sens d-man Jack Dougherty played in his 200th AHL game.
The Senators are back at it Saturday as Providence makes its only visit to CAA Arena this season as part of Women's Hockey Day. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Iowa Continues Hot Start with 6-4 Win at Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ryan Poehling's Game-Winning Goal Propels Rocket to 3-2 Win over Providence Bruins, Extends Win Streak to Three - Laval Rocket
- Rockford's Fast Start Stops Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Crush Checkers to Stay Undefeated - Utica Comets
- Dries Registers 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' in Eagles 3-2 Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Andreoff and Frost Record 3-Point Nights in 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Use Big Second to Beat Sens - Belleville Senators
- Bears Erupt for Five, Top Sens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Begin Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Stumbles in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Lose to Comets 8-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Driedger, T-Birds Edged out by Wolf Pack, 1-0 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Name Sam Carrick Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with RPM Raceway for 2019-20 Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Announce Roster Moves - Rochester Americans
- Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Heat Start Road Swing at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, October 18 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Flyers Loan Connor Bunnaman to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Travis Boyd and Martin Fehervary from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bears, October 18 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- JC Beaudin Reassigned to Belleville
- Sens Score a Touchdown on Cleveland
- Daccord Reassigned to Beast
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 7
- Sens Taken Down by Monsters