Checkers Lose to Comets 8-2
UTICA, NY - The Checkers ran into a red-hot Utica squad Friday night and couldn't hand them their first loss of the season, dropping a 6-2 decision to the Comets.
The tone was set in the first frame when the Comets opened the scoring midway through the period, then tallied two more less than 30 seconds apart to build a 3-0 lead and chase starter Alex Nedeljkovic from the game.
The second period featured a valiant effort from Charlotte to turn the tide, but a shorthanded breakaway conversion by the league's leading goal scorer Reid Boucher extended that lead to 4-0 through 40 minutes.
Charlotte's lone offensive surge came early in the third, when Hunter Shinkaruk and Eetu Luostarinen both cleaned up rebounds less than a minute apart. Unfortunately for the visitors, the Comets responded in between those tallies, then knocked in another three before the final buzzer to bring things to a lopsided 8-2 final.
The eight goals allowed are the most allowed by the Checkers since setting a franchise record with nine on Oct. 17, 2015 ... The Checkers were shut out on four man advantages, snapping a four-game streak of power-play goals ... The Checkers snapped their three-game streak of perfect penalty kills ... The Checkers have allowed multiple goals in a period in each of their last three games ... Shinkaruk scored his first goal as a Checker ... Luostarinen now has goals in two straight games ... Morgan Geekie snapped his four-game point streak ... Max McCormick made his Checkers debut ... Stelio Mattheos and Spencer Smallman both missed the game due to injury ... Anthony Louis, Kyle Wood, Cavan Fitzgerald and Alex Lintuniemi were healthy scratches
The Checkers will have the chance to bounce back quickly as they travel to Syracuse for a 7 p.m. puck drop tomorrow night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Iowa Continues Hot Start with 6-4 Win at Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ryan Poehling's Game-Winning Goal Propels Rocket to 3-2 Win over Providence Bruins, Extends Win Streak to Three - Laval Rocket
- Rockford's Fast Start Stops Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Crush Checkers to Stay Undefeated - Utica Comets
- Dries Registers 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' in Eagles 3-2 Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Andreoff and Frost Record 3-Point Nights in 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Use Big Second to Beat Sens - Belleville Senators
- Bears Erupt for Five, Top Sens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Begin Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Stumbles in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Lose to Comets 8-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Driedger, T-Birds Edged out by Wolf Pack, 1-0 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Name Sam Carrick Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with RPM Raceway for 2019-20 Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Announce Roster Moves - Rochester Americans
- Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Heat Start Road Swing at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, October 18 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Flyers Loan Connor Bunnaman to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Travis Boyd and Martin Fehervary from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bears, October 18 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton
- Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland
- Checkers Clamp Down Cleveland in 2-1 Win