Dries Registers 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' in Eagles 3-2 Shootout Win
MILWAUKEE, WI. - Colorado Eagles forward Sheldon Dries notched a goal, an assist and a fight to earn a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick," as the Eagles defeated the Milwaukee Admirals, 3-2 in a shootout on Friday. Colorado forwards Michael Joly and A.J. Greer both lit the lamp in the shootout, while goaltender Adam Werner made 28 saves on 30 shots and stopped both shooters he faced in the shootout to claim the win in net.
A shorthanded situation would lead to the game's first goal, as Dries would apply a tenacious forecheck on the penalty kill to create a turnover and set up forward Jayson Megna to beat Admirals goalie Troy Grosenick in the slot. The goal would put Colorado on top of Milwaukee, 1-0 at the 10:11 mark of the first period. The Admirals would outshoot the Eagles, 12-8 in the opening 20 minutes, but Colorado would carry their 1-0 advantage into the first intermission.
Milwaukee would earn its fourth power play of the contest midway through the second period and the Admirals would take advantage when forward Frederick Gaudreau fired a shot from the side of the crease that bounced off the leg pad of Werner and into the back of the net. The goal would level the score at 1-1 with 7:39 remaining in the middle frame, as the two teams would skate to the second intermission still deadlocked at 1-1.
The Eagles would jump back on top at the 10:19 mark of the third period when defenseman Kevin Connauton fired a wrister from the left point that would be tipped by Dries and weave past Grosenick to give Colorado the 2-1 advantage.
The lead would be short-lived, as just minutes later Milwaukee forward Colin Blackwell would find the back of the net with a one-timer from the top of the right-wing circle to knot the score at 2-2 with 6:53 left in regulation.
With 60 minutes unable to determine a winner, the two teams headed to sudden-death overtime. The Admirals would outshoot Colorado, 3-1 in the extra session but neither goaltender would give ground and the contest would head to a shootout. Werner slammed the door on both Gaudreau and forward Thomas Novak, while Joly and Greer both made good on their attempts to secure the Eagles 3-2 win.
Colorado finished the night going 0-for-6 on the power play, while Milwaukee went 1-for-4 on the man-advantage. The Admirals outshot Colorado, 30-29 on the evening.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles close out their three-game road trip with a meeting against the Milwaukee Admirals on Saturday, October 19th at 5:00pm MT.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Iowa Continues Hot Start with 6-4 Win at Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ryan Poehling's Game-Winning Goal Propels Rocket to 3-2 Win over Providence Bruins, Extends Win Streak to Three - Laval Rocket
- Rockford's Fast Start Stops Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Crush Checkers to Stay Undefeated - Utica Comets
- Dries Registers 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' in Eagles 3-2 Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Andreoff and Frost Record 3-Point Nights in 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Use Big Second to Beat Sens - Belleville Senators
- Bears Erupt for Five, Top Sens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Begin Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Stumbles in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Lose to Comets 8-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Driedger, T-Birds Edged out by Wolf Pack, 1-0 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Name Sam Carrick Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with RPM Raceway for 2019-20 Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Announce Roster Moves - Rochester Americans
- Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Heat Start Road Swing at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, October 18 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Flyers Loan Connor Bunnaman to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Travis Boyd and Martin Fehervary from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bears, October 18 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction