Rockford's Fast Start Stops Wolves
ROCKFORD, Illinois - The Rockford IceHogs scored three times in the first period and held on for a 3-2 victory over the Chicago Wolves in Illinois Lottery Cup action Friday night at the Rockford MetroCentre.
Defenseman Jaycob Megna and center Gage Quinney scored for the Wolves (1-3-0-0), who outshot the IceHogs by a 27-16 margin in the final two periods after Rockford controlled the opening frame.
Rockford (1-3-0-0) built a 3-0 lead in the first period as Dylan Sikura tipped a shot at 5:28, John Quenneville knocked in a short-handed goal at 12:48 and Anton Wedin gathered a loose puck in the right faceoff circle and wired it home at 18:23.
The Wolves dug into Rockford's lead in the second period on Megna's first goal in a Chicago sweater at 5:03. Lucas Elvenes collected a pass in the slot, carried it into the corner to lure the defense and then fed Megna at the top of the left circle for a quick shot into an open net.
Quinney pulled the Wolves within 3-2 with 7:52 to go when he flew toward the post and buried Curtis McKenzie's feed from the goal line.
Wolves goaltender Garret Sparks (1-2-0) posted 30 saves while Rockford's Collin Delia (1-2-0) stopped 29 shots.
The Wolves host the IceHogs at 7 p.m. Saturday on Pride Night at Allstate Arena. To get the best tickets for this Illinois Lottery Cup clash, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Iowa Continues Hot Start with 6-4 Win at Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ryan Poehling's Game-Winning Goal Propels Rocket to 3-2 Win over Providence Bruins, Extends Win Streak to Three - Laval Rocket
- Rockford's Fast Start Stops Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Crush Checkers to Stay Undefeated - Utica Comets
- Dries Registers 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' in Eagles 3-2 Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Andreoff and Frost Record 3-Point Nights in 4-1 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Use Big Second to Beat Sens - Belleville Senators
- Bears Erupt for Five, Top Sens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Begin Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Stumbles in 4-1 Loss to Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Lose to Comets 8-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Driedger, T-Birds Edged out by Wolf Pack, 1-0 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Name Sam Carrick Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with RPM Raceway for 2019-20 Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Three Home Games Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Announce Roster Moves - Rochester Americans
- Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Heat Start Road Swing at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, October 18 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Flyers Loan Connor Bunnaman to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Travis Boyd and Martin Fehervary from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bears, October 18 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Chicago Wolves Unveil 2020-21 Schedule
- Chicago Wolves Add First-Rounder Dominik Bokk
- Chicago Wolves Receive 13 from Carolina
- Chicago Wolves Partner with the #SameHere Global Mental Health Movement to Create Project Thrive
- Chicago Wolves Add Nashville Affiliation for 2020-21