Rush Prevail over Wichita in OT, 2-1
(WICHITA, Kan.) - Logan Nelson had a goal and an assist, Lukas Parik made 30 saves and Tristan Thompson netted the game-winning goal as the Rapid City Rush beat the Wichita Thunder in overtime, 2-1, Wednesday night at INTRUST Bank Arena.
The Rush opened the scoring in the second period as Nelson carried the puck into the high slot. He spun and flung a wrist shot on net that worked its way through traffic and got past Evan Buitenhuis, giving Rapid City a 1-0 lead.
Wichita answered about five minutes later when Jay Dickman came speeding down the left wing. He brought the puck below the goal line and wrapped it around just ahead of Parik's lunging pad to tie the game at one.
Rapid City and Wichita each had scoring chances in the third period but both Parik and Buitenhuis were up to the task, as Buitenhuis made 16 saves in the third and Parik stopped all 13 that he faced, pushing the game to overtime.
A little over two minutes into the overtime period, Wichita's Cam Clarke was called for holding, sending the Rush to a power play. After a won faceoff, Nelson and Thompson slid the puck back-and-forth to one another until Thompson unleashed a one-timer that blasted past Buitenhuis and into the back of the net for the game-winning goal.
Nelson had a goal and an assist, Stephen Baylis picked up a pair of assists, Parik made 30 saves on 31 shots and Thompson's goal was his second of the season. Rapid City improved to 5-6-1-1 in the win while Wichita moved to 6-5-1-0. The Rush will continue their road swing on Friday night in Independence, Missouri for their first meeting of the season with the Kansas City Mavericks. Puck drop at the Cable Dahmer Arena is scheduled for 7:05 PM CST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2021
- Rush Prevail over Wichita in OT, 2-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Indy Falls to Wheeling in Third Matchup of the Season - Indy Fuel
- Dickinson Nets Two in Walleye Loss to Cincinnati - Toledo Walleye
- Big Win at Home for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Nailers Feast on Fuel, 5-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Pritchard Extends Point-Streak in 5-1 Loss to Lions - Reading Royals
- Everblades Fall in Shootout at Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Voyer, Tralmaks Rally Mariners over Railers - Maine Mariners
- Grasso Scores Twice in 6-3 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Drop Thanksgiving Eve Showdown to Maine 4-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Double up the Thunder 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 25, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Defenseman Evan Wardley Returns to Steelheads from Syracuse - Idaho Steelheads
- Montana Onyebuchi Recalled by Barracuda - Orlando Solar Bears
- Szydlowski Back with Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Oilers Sign Experienced Forward Darren McCormick - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Trois-Rivières Receives Reading at the Colisée Vidéotron - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Everblades at Icemen, November 24, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Thunder Starts Busy Week Tonight vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Zach Hall Returns as the Americans Open a Series in Idaho - Allen Americans
- Royals Visit Lions for Start of Thanksgiving Week Trifecta - Reading Royals
- Everblades to Open Three-Game Trip to Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Icemen Use Two Shorthanded Goals to Rally Past Stingrays - Jacksonville Icemen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rapid City Rush Stories
- Rush Come up Short in Shootout Loss in Wichita, 3-2
- Game Notes: at Wichita
- Rush Edged by Thunder, 6-4
- Game Notes: at Wichita
- Rush Storm Back, Beat Mavericks in OT, 4-3