Roster - Mike Szmatula Signs PTO with Utica Comets
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Adirondack Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the New Jersey Devils, announced today that forward Mike Szmatula has signed a professional try-out contract with the American Hockey League's Utica Comets.
Szmatula, 26, earns his second career AHL call-up since joining the Thunder late last season. The native of Commerce Township, MI is in the midst of a career year as he leads all ECHL rookie skaters with 24 goals scored and ranks third on the Thunder with 39 total points. Szmatula has been especially hot of late as he has recorded five points (4g-1a) in his last three games and 11 points (9g-2a) from his past nine games played. The 5-foot-9 forward has skated in two career AHL games with the Stockton Heat earlier this season.
Prior to turning pro, Szmatula played two seasons at both the University of Minnesota and Northeastern University. The 26-year-old collected 108 points (47g-61a) in 139 games between the two schools. Szmatula tallied 68 points (28g-40a) in 73 games played with the Huskies before he transferred to Minnesota, where he amassed 40 points (19g-21a) from 66 games played.
The Thunder hit the ice for a trio of games this weekend. The Maine Mariners visit Glens Falls, NY tonight before the Reading Royals come to Cool Insuring Arena for Law Enforcement Appreciation night tomorrow evening. Adirondack wraps up its three-in-three Sunday afternoon at Santander Arena in Reading, PA. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 22, 2019
- Rally Falls Short in 6-5 Loss at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Jeff Pyle Wins 500th ECHL Game as Atlanta Bottles up Rush with 4-0 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Allen Defeats Utah 7-5 on Friday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Strong Third Period Not Enough for Oilers in Boise - Tulsa Oilers
- Four-Goal Second Period Lifts Mavericks over Toledo, 5-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Top Stingrays, 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Take One Point from Royals in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Manchester Monarchs
- Second Effort: 'Blades Score Three in Second Period to Beat Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Royals Come from Behind to Stun Monarchs in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Drop Back and Forth Battle against Mariners - Adirondack Thunder
- Wallin Beats Former Team in OT as Mariners Stay Perfect on Road Trip - Maine Mariners
- Brad Barone Joins Rush Ahead of Weekend vs Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Wade, Pu Recalled to American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - February 22 - ECHL
- Nailers Trade Brien Diffley to Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Johansson Undergoes Season Ending Surgery - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Garden Bros Circus Coming to Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Complete Trade with Manchester for Eric Schurhamer and Zeb Knutson - Indy Fuel
- Allen vs Utah Series Preview & Free Tickets - Allen Americans
- Royals "Bleed Purple" with Miller Keystone Blood Center March 26 - Reading Royals
- Roster - Mike Szmatula Signs PTO with Utica Comets - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Reading Trails Manchester by 5 Points for 3rd Place - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals in Wild 7-6 OT Battle - Orlando Solar Bears
- Klima's Five Points Guide Admirals to Wild 7-6 Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Riley Tabbed as Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week
- Thunder Donate More Than $25,000 to C.R. Wood Cancer Center
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win