Four-Goal Second Period Lifts Mavericks over Toledo, 5-3
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Toledo Walleye, 5-3 Friday night at in front of a sold out crowd of 5,800 fans at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks scored four goals in the second period and overcome a 1-0 first period deficit en route to their 27th win of the season. Defenseman Riley Sweeney scored his first two goals of the year and Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo added a goal and an assist. KC now sits at 27-20-3-1 for 58 points this season and maintain their hold on the fourth and final playoff spot in the ECHL's Mountain Division with 21 games remaining on the schedule.
Greg Wolfe opened the scoring from Toledo with a goal 17:01 into the first period. Dylan Sadowy assisted on the goal. Wolfe's goal was the lone score in the period. The Mavericks edged out Toledo in the shot department, 8-7.
The second period featured an avalanche of scoring, as both teams combined for six goals in the middle frame. The Mavericks tied the game on a goal from Corey Durocher, which was assisted by Jordan Klimek and Nate Widman. Toledo retook the lead 28 seconds later on a goal from Jordan Topping assisted by Bryan Moore and Marcus Crawford. Riley Sweeney scored his first goal of the season and tied the game on a goal assisted by Darian Dziurzynski and Rocco Carzo. The scoring continued as the Mavericks took their first lead of the game, when Sweeney found the back of the net again on a goal assisted by Neal Goff. Topping tied it 47 seconds later on his second goal of the game assisted by Moore and Tyler Spezia. The Mavericks capped off the wild period and captured the lead on Carzo's 13th goal of the season. Willie Raskob assisted on the final goal of the period. All told, six goals were scored in the period in a matter of eight minutes and 18 seconds.
The Mavericks and goaltender Nick Schneider held off Toledo for the final 20 minutes of regulation, adding an empty net goal by Greg Betzold with 51 seconds left to secure the 5-3 victory. Schneider stopped all 10 shots by Toledo in the third period en route to his first victory with Kansas City since December 31, 2018.
The Mavericks and Walleye play the second game of their two game series on Friday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks will celebrate Hockey Is For Everyone Saturday against the Kalamazoo Wings. In celebration of Hockey Week Across America, the Mavericks encourage fans in attendance to wear their favorite hockey jersey to the arena for Friday and Saturday's games. Faceoff for both games is 7:05 p.m.. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 22, 2019
- Rally Falls Short in 6-5 Loss at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Jeff Pyle Wins 500th ECHL Game as Atlanta Bottles up Rush with 4-0 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Allen Defeats Utah 7-5 on Friday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Strong Third Period Not Enough for Oilers in Boise - Tulsa Oilers
- Four-Goal Second Period Lifts Mavericks over Toledo, 5-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Top Stingrays, 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Take One Point from Royals in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Manchester Monarchs
- Second Effort: 'Blades Score Three in Second Period to Beat Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Royals Come from Behind to Stun Monarchs in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Drop Back and Forth Battle against Mariners - Adirondack Thunder
- Wallin Beats Former Team in OT as Mariners Stay Perfect on Road Trip - Maine Mariners
- Brad Barone Joins Rush Ahead of Weekend vs Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Wade, Pu Recalled to American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - February 22 - ECHL
- Nailers Trade Brien Diffley to Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Johansson Undergoes Season Ending Surgery - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Garden Bros Circus Coming to Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Complete Trade with Manchester for Eric Schurhamer and Zeb Knutson - Indy Fuel
- Allen vs Utah Series Preview & Free Tickets - Allen Americans
- Royals "Bleed Purple" with Miller Keystone Blood Center March 26 - Reading Royals
- Roster - Mike Szmatula Signs PTO with Utica Comets - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Reading Trails Manchester by 5 Points for 3rd Place - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals in Wild 7-6 OT Battle - Orlando Solar Bears
- Klima's Five Points Guide Admirals to Wild 7-6 Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina
- Mavericks Can't Contain Greenville, Drop Second Game of Road Trip 5-3
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita