Allen Defeats Utah 7-5 on Friday Night
Allen, Texas - Eric Freschi had 2 goals and 1 assist and Josh Dickinson and Caleb Herbert each had 1 goal and 1 assist for the Utah Grizzlies but it wasn't enough as they fall to the Allen Americans 7-5 on Friday night at the Allen Events Center.
Allen dominated the first period, scoring 3 goals and outshooting Utah by a 19 to 3 count. Utah quickly responded with 2 goals in the first 30 seconds of the second period as Caleb Herbert scored his 27th of the season 11 seconds into the period and Turner Ottenbreit cut the Allen lead to 1 after scoring 30 seconds into the period. Eric Freschi tied up the game on the power play 5:22 into the 2nd period.
Allen retook the lead on the power play as the faceoff deflected off a Grizzlies skater's stick into the back of their own net. Adam Miller scored on a rebound with 1:29 left in the 2nd period.
Both teams scored twice in the third period. Freschi added his 2nd goal of the game and Dickinson scored his 4th of the year. Both goals were scored on nice passes from Jake Marchment, who had 2 assists on the night. Ryan Walters also had 2 helpers for the Grizzlies, who have lost 3 games in a row.
The 2nd game of the 3 game series is Saturday night at the Allen Events Center. 6 pm mountain time face-off. The game can be heard on Classic Country 1370 and in HD at 104.3 HD-2.
Grizzlies notes: Utah was 2 for 3 on the power play, while Allen was 2 for 6 on the man advantage. Joe Cannata stopped 33 of 39 shots with the 7th Allen goal being scored on an empty net with the score at 6-5 at the time. Caleb Herbert and Allen's Zach Pochiro each scored their 27th goals of the season. Allen outshot Utah 40 to 30 in the game. Attendance was 3444. Time of game was 2 hours 31 minutes.
3 stars of the game
1. Riley Bourbonnais (Allen) - 2 goals, 1 assist.
2. Adam Miller (Allen) - 1 goal, 2 assists.
3. Eric Freschi (Utah) - 2 goals, 1 assist.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 22, 2019
- Rally Falls Short in 6-5 Loss at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Jeff Pyle Wins 500th ECHL Game as Atlanta Bottles up Rush with 4-0 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Allen Defeats Utah 7-5 on Friday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Strong Third Period Not Enough for Oilers in Boise - Tulsa Oilers
- Four-Goal Second Period Lifts Mavericks over Toledo, 5-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Top Stingrays, 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Take One Point from Royals in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Manchester Monarchs
- Second Effort: 'Blades Score Three in Second Period to Beat Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Royals Come from Behind to Stun Monarchs in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Drop Back and Forth Battle against Mariners - Adirondack Thunder
- Wallin Beats Former Team in OT as Mariners Stay Perfect on Road Trip - Maine Mariners
- Brad Barone Joins Rush Ahead of Weekend vs Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Wade, Pu Recalled to American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - February 22 - ECHL
- Nailers Trade Brien Diffley to Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Johansson Undergoes Season Ending Surgery - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Garden Bros Circus Coming to Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Complete Trade with Manchester for Eric Schurhamer and Zeb Knutson - Indy Fuel
- Allen vs Utah Series Preview & Free Tickets - Allen Americans
- Royals "Bleed Purple" with Miller Keystone Blood Center March 26 - Reading Royals
- Roster - Mike Szmatula Signs PTO with Utica Comets - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Reading Trails Manchester by 5 Points for 3rd Place - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals in Wild 7-6 OT Battle - Orlando Solar Bears
- Klima's Five Points Guide Admirals to Wild 7-6 Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.