Thunder Drop Back and Forth Battle against Mariners
GLENS FALLS, NY - Brian Ward registered a pair of points and John Edwardh extended his point streak to an ECHL-high 13 consecutive games, but the Adirondack Thunder fell to the Maine Mariners 4-3 in overtime on Friday night at Cool Insuring Arena.
Former Thunder forward Terrence Wallin tipped in a Josh Couturier shot with the Mariners on the man advantage in overtime to give Maine its sixth straight win.
The Mariners opened the scoring when defenseman John Furgele somehow found an opening to beat Evan Cormier with a soft shot from the right circle. The Thunder netminder thought he had the puck covered after the initial save, but it trickled behind him for a 1-0 Maine lead.
Adirondack tied it before the end of the opening period on John Edwardh's 20th tally of the season. Matt Salhany started the breakout with a ridiculous no-look feed to a streaking Peter MacArthur up the right wing. The alternate captain led a 2-on-1 where he found Edwardh, who scored with the Nikita Kucherov-style deke finish through the five-hole of Connor LaCouvee.
Nik Olsson's first professional goal gave the Thunder a lead at 10:44 of the middle frame. The rookie forward found an opening in the left faceoff circle where Brian Ward slid him a pass. The Boston University product corralled and ripped home a wrister for his first of the season and his professional career.
Taylor Cammarata wasted no time tying the game back up as he converted on a rebound shot just 2:02 later. Wade Murphy put the original shot on Cormier, who left the rebound to his right. Cammarata found the loose puck and picked the top left corner to tie the game at 2-2.
Adirondack gained the lead one more time with less than seven minutes remaining in regulation. Jake Linhart fired a slap-pass in the vicinity of Ward who made a perfect redirection from the center-slot for a 3-2 Thunder lead. The goal was Ward's 13th of the season and gave him nine points (6g-3a) in his last six games played.
Greg Chase tied the game one final time as he put home a wraparound goal 98 seconds after Ward's score. Chase skated down the right wing past the Thunder defense and rolled his wrists as he went behind the Thunder cage for his team-leading 16th tally of the year.
Wallin's power-play goal at 3:17 of the overtime period sealed the win for the Mariners.
The Thunder are back in action tomorrow night as they play host to the Reading Royals for Law Enforcement Appreciation Night at Cool Insuring Arena. The first 1,000 kids age 14 and younger will receive a youth jersey giveaway thanks to Glens Falls Hospital. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward James Henry (center) battles the Maine Mariners
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 22, 2019
- Rally Falls Short in 6-5 Loss at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Jeff Pyle Wins 500th ECHL Game as Atlanta Bottles up Rush with 4-0 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Allen Defeats Utah 7-5 on Friday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Strong Third Period Not Enough for Oilers in Boise - Tulsa Oilers
- Four-Goal Second Period Lifts Mavericks over Toledo, 5-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Top Stingrays, 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Take One Point from Royals in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Manchester Monarchs
- Second Effort: 'Blades Score Three in Second Period to Beat Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Royals Come from Behind to Stun Monarchs in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Drop Back and Forth Battle against Mariners - Adirondack Thunder
- Wallin Beats Former Team in OT as Mariners Stay Perfect on Road Trip - Maine Mariners
- Brad Barone Joins Rush Ahead of Weekend vs Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Wade, Pu Recalled to American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - February 22 - ECHL
- Nailers Trade Brien Diffley to Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Johansson Undergoes Season Ending Surgery - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Garden Bros Circus Coming to Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Complete Trade with Manchester for Eric Schurhamer and Zeb Knutson - Indy Fuel
- Allen vs Utah Series Preview & Free Tickets - Allen Americans
- Royals "Bleed Purple" with Miller Keystone Blood Center March 26 - Reading Royals
- Roster - Mike Szmatula Signs PTO with Utica Comets - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Reading Trails Manchester by 5 Points for 3rd Place - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals in Wild 7-6 OT Battle - Orlando Solar Bears
- Klima's Five Points Guide Admirals to Wild 7-6 Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.