Rampage roast Chops
SAN ANTONIO (April 3, 2009) - Goalie Josh Tordjman returned to the ice and recorded his fifth shutout of the season and seventh in San Antonio to tie the franchise record as the Rampage put a wrench in Iowa's playoff hopes with a big 2-0 win in front of 9,222 fans at the AT&T Center on Friday night.
Although the Rampage have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, San Antonio has won six of seven and four straight.
Joel Perrault put the Rampage up 1-0 at the 15:42 mark of the first with his 15th goal of the season. Perrault skated up the left wall circling inside the blue line and handing off to Dylan Reese. Reese skated through the left circle losing his defender with a beautiful deke freeing himself into the open slot where he centered to Perrault on the backside of the crease for the easy tap-in.
Perrault has tallied a goal in six of his last seven games including four straight.
The Rampage, who are 17-1 when leading after the first period, cushioned their lead early in the second. David Schlemko registered his 7th goal of the season sending a wrister from the top of the right circle toward the cage of Jean-Phillippe Levasseur. The shot seemed to handcuff Levasseur as it sailed through traffic and bounced off the goalie into the net for a 2-0 Rampage lead at the 5:46 mark.
That was all the scoring San Antonio needed as Tordjman stopped all 22 shots while the Rampage penalty kill was a perfect 6 for 6.
With his goal tonight and assist in the suspended March 21st game at Lake Erie, Perrault has points in a team-high eight straight games. San Antonio travels to Cleveland on Monday to complete the game. The Rampage led 1-0 after the first period before the game was suspended due to unsafe ice conditions.
The Chops, who are fighting for their playoff lives, lost ground to Rockford who beat Syracuse in a shootout. Iowa trails the IceHogs by five points for the fourth spot in the West and trail Toronto by three points in the North. If the fifth place team in the West has more points than the fourth place team in the North, the West Division team qualifies for the playoffs.
Tomorrow the Rampage conclude their season series with Iowa. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m. and Saturday is an Express News Value Night where a game ticket, hot dog, bag of chips and drink is only $15.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS
For Rampage single game ticket information, please call 210.444.5554 or visit www.sarampage.com.
Individual tickets range in price from $9.50 to $40 and can be purchased at all Ticketmaster Ticket Center locations, charge by phone at (210) 225-TEAM, online at ticketmaster.com or sarampage.com. Tickets can also be purchased at the AT&T Center Southeast Box Office from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and starting at 10 a.m. on weekend event days.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.