Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2
GLENS FALLS, NY - Riley Armstrong and Steven Zalewski each had three points and Thomas Greiss made 26 saves in net for Worcester as the Sharks won their 4th straight road game with a 3-2 win in Glens Falls over the River Rats on Friday.
The Sharks came out flying in the first period taking a early 11-1 shot advantage aided by two power play chances but goaltender Justin Peters made several nice saving including on a break by Sharks rookie Logan Couture playing in his first professional game. The Rats came back with some offensive chances of their own, but Thomas Greiss was sharp in net for the Sharks. Just as the Sharks killed off a power play, Steven Zalewski banged in his own rebound with just: 14 seconds remaining in the opening period. Zalewski rushed down the right wing, fired a snap shot and then poked in a rebound as he was sent to the ice for his 13th goal of the season to give the Sharks a 1-0 lead after twenty minutes.
Fists would fly to start the 2nd period. Logan Couture and Jacob Petruzalek would tangle at 1:59 after Couture took down Nick Dodge behind the Albany net. A few minute later, Mike Moore sent Nick Dodge down with a wicked open ice check and was challenged by several River Rats to fight. Instead, Brett Westgarth and Benn Olson went toe-to-toe in a marathon battle and as they were sent to the penalty boxes, Frazer McLaren and Brad Herauf exchanged heavy blows with Frazer taking the advantage at 4:01. After the dust settled, Riley Armstrong scored his 24th after a nice feed from Steven Zalewski to give Worcester a 2-0 lead at 10:35. Albany would cut the lead in half after a nice give and go from behind the net found Jerome Samson in front who fired a quick shot through the pads of Greiss at 12:48. The Sharks would get the two goal lead right back as Armstrong notched his 2nd of the period after a pass from Zalewski at 14:03. The Sharks led 3-1 after forty minutes outshooting the River Rats 27-19.
Albany would have three power plays to work with in the third period, including an: 89 second two man advantage midway through the final period. Bryan Rodney would trim the Worcester lead to 3-2 after a blast from the point found its way through traffic and past Greiss on the man advantage at 13:02. The River Rats would pull their goaltender with a minute remaining but Thomas Greiss stood tall and held off a late attack for the Sharks 4th straight victory on the road and their 3rd straight victory overall.
The win brings Worcester's record to 39-34-1-2 with 81 points through 76 games and the Sharks currently sit tied with Portland in the Atlantic Division standings and one point ahead of Manchester.
NOTES: Three Stars: (3) Steven Zalewski (1g 2a) (2) Jerome Samson (1g 1a) (1) Riley Armstrong (2g 1a)... Attendance was announced 4,856... Thomas Greiss made 26/28 saves in net for Worcester in his 12th straight start... Justin Peters made 34/37 saves in net for Albany ... The Sharks went 0/2 on the power play while the River Rats went 1/4 ...Logan Couture, the 9th pick overall in the 2007 draft, played in his first pro game for Worcester and picked up his first fighting major in the 2nd period ... Kyle McLaren returned after missing 50 straight games due to injury... the Sharks finished their four game set with Albany with a 3-1-0-0 advantage.
The Sharks continue their four game road swing with their final regular season game on the road on Saturday in Manchester with a 7pm start. They return home to the DCU Center for the final three games of the regular season, Apr. 8 vs. Portland, Apr. 10 vs. Manchester, and Apr. 11 vs. Providence.
The Sharks reduced their 2009-10 season ticket prices and they are on sale now! Purchases can be made by visiting the box office, contacting the Worcester Sharks office at 508.929.0500, or by crashing the net at www.SharksAHL.com.
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.