Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton
HAMILTON, Ontario - A probable playoff match up lived up to its billing, as the Grand Rapids Griffins lost to the Hamilton Bulldogs 6-3 in a hard-fought contest at the Copps Coliseum on Friday. The game was tied 3-3 with less than five minutes remaining before the Bulldogs pulled away with two power-play goals and an empty net tally.
The Griffins (42-22-6-6) are now two points ahead of the Bulldogs (45-27-4-0) in the race for second place in the North Division and home-ice advantage in the first-round series. Jimmy Howard made 43 saves on 48 shots to keep Grand Rapids in the game until two late 5-on-3 goals secured the game for the Bulldogs. Cedrick Desjardins stopped 29 shots in net for Hamilton. Justin Abdelkader set a Griffins rookie record with his 23rd goal of the season.
The scoring started early, as Brock Trotter put the Bulldogs up 1-0 just nine seconds into the game. It was the quickest goal to start a game the Griffins have allowed in franchise history. Grand Rapids matched that with a quick goal of its own, this one coming 35 seconds into the second period. Francis Lemieux dropped the puck into the slot for Darren Helm, who fired a shot that Darren McCarty redirected past Desjardins to tie the game.
David Desharnais put Hamilton back on top with his 20th goal of the season at the 15:15 mark of the middle stanza. Desharnais set up just inside the left circle and then one-timed a feed from behind the net, beating Howard to the glove side to make the score 2-1. The third period started the same way as the first two. Desharnais put home a rebound 35 seconds into the final period to give the Bulldogs a two-goal lead with his second goal of the night.
Abdelkader scored on a power play 6:17 into the third to cut the Hamilton lead to one. Mattias Ritola, making his first appearance back after missing six games due to injury, set up Abdelkader right in front of the cage for the goal. Then Darren Haydar tied the game 6:54 later with a blast from the point on the Griffins' next power play. Ritola picked up his second assist of the game, while Brian Lashoff earned his second assist in just his second professional game.
The tie lasted only 2:33, as the Griffins took back-to-back delay of game penalties and the Bulldogs scored on a 5-on-3 power play. Yannick Weber unleashed a slap shot from the right circle during the 1:40 two-man advantage for the goal, which was followed by another Grand Rapids penalty, another 5-on-3 scenario and another Hamilton power-play goal. Desharnais completed the hat trick, giving the Bulldogs a two-goal cushion with 3:25 remaining. The final tally came with 27 seconds left, when Alex Henry was credited with a goal after Abdelkader gloved the puck while defending an open net.
Three Stars: 1. HAM Desharnais (Hat trick, assist); 2. HAM Trotter (Goal, 2 assists); 3. HAM Glumac (4 assists)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Griffins' "Lids at the Library" Bike Helmet Giveaways Return
- Todd Krygier Joins Griffins as Assistant Coach
- 2019 IIHF World Championship Features 10 Current Or Former Griffins
- Red Wings Sign Dylan McIlrath to Two-Year Extension
- Griffins' 2019-20 Home Opener Set for October 11