Sharks Edge Albany 3-2
Glens Falls, NY- Riley Armstrong scored two goals including the game-winner as the Worcester Sharks defeated the Albany River Rats 3-2 Friday night at the Glens Falls Civic Center.
The Sharks held Albany to just one shot on goal through the opening ten minutes of play and added a lot of fire power at the other end, totaling sixteen shots in the opening frame. River Rats goaltender Justin Peters kept the visitors off of the board until the final seconds of play, when center Steven Zalewski scored on his own rebound to cap off a nice one-on-one effort. Before the goal Albany had finally put some pressure on the Worcester end to finish the frame with eleven shots on goalie Thomas Greiss.
Riley Armstrong doubled the Sharks' lead midway through the second period when he collected a pass at the face-off circle and sent a quick wrist shot into the short side; Zalewski and Mike Moore assisted on the right wing's team-leading 24th goal of the year. Albany's forward line of Yannick Tifu, Jerome Samson and Cory Quirk struck next on the cycle when Tifu found Samson streaking to the goal for a one-timer at 12:48; Samson's 22nd goal of the season. Just 1:15 later the Worcester padded their lead back to two goals when Zalewski found a wide open Armstrong in the slot for a top-shelf finish.
The River Rats made it a 3-2 at 13:02 of the third period on a long slap shot from defenseman Bryan Rodney; Samson and Tifu tabbed the assists for their second points of the night on the power play tally. Albany continued to put heavy pressure on the Worcester end in the closing minutes of play, but they failed to knot the game before the final horn sounded.
Sharks goaltender Thomas Greiss stopped 26-of-28 shots and earned the win as Worcester improved to 39-34-1-2 on the season. River Rats goalie Justin Peters made 34 saves on 37 shots and took the loss as Albany fell to 31-37-3-4. The Sharks out-shot the River Rats 37-28 in the game and went 0-for-2 on the power play; Albany was 1-for-4 with the man advantage.
Albany will hit the road for two games over the weekend, beginning on Saturday, April 4th at Binghamton for a 7:05 pm face off against the Senators at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena. The River Rats will return home on Wednesday, April 8th as they host the Philadelphia Phantoms at 7:00 pm at the Times Union Center.
River Rats flex ticket packages and individual game tickets are on sale now at the River Rats office and the Times Union Center Box Office. For more information please contact the Albany River Rats at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.