Crawford shines in shootout
Syracuse, NY- Breakaways were old hat for Corey Crawford by the time the Rockford IceHogs and Syracuse Crunch went to a shootout. The IceHogs puckstopper did face five of them in regulation on Friday night.
Crawford turned four of those breakaways aside as well as three of four in the shootout to give Rockford a 3-2 win over the Crunch at War Memorial at Oncenter. Crawford turned away 41 Syracuse shots to inch Rockford closer to a playoff berth.
In the opening frame Pete MacArthur was on the right end of a favorable bounce. MacArthur dumped a puck into the Syracuse zone and with Crunch goalie Kevin LaLande out to play the dump in, the puck redirected off of the glass and into the open net for MacArthur's 12 goal of the year. The goal at 4:40 was assisted by Evan Brophey and Tim Brent.
Syracuse countered on the power play when Maksim Mayorov was set up by Mike Blunden on a breakaway and he beat Crawford for his 15 goal of the season at 10:28.
MacArthur added his second tally of the night when Brent set him up in transition in the second period. MacArthur beat LaLande low blocker side just 50 seconds into the middle frame. Brophey also tallied his second assist of the night.
Syracuse tied the game back up at 2-2 in the third period at 4:26. Alexadre Picard split the IceHogs defense and beat Crawford five hole for his 19 goal of the season and 17 in his last 18 games.
After a scoreless overtime, MacArthur, Brent and Mike Radja all tallied while Derek MacKenzie was the only Crunch skater to solve Crawford.
Next Home Game: Saturday, April 4 vs. Milwaukee Admirals. Game time is 7:05 p.m. The Annual Jersey Auction game is finally here as the IceHogs jump into "The Dark Hammy" jerseys to benefit the IceHogs Charitable Foundation. The first 2,000 fans will pick up a commemorative Dark Hammy t-shirt courtesy of Saturn, Pepsi, Guerilla Graffix, Lincoln Rent-All, 13 WREX and MedicineMan. Also, don't miss the Stanley Cup as hockey's most coveted trophy makes its first visit to the Rockford MetroCentre and every fan 18 or older will have a chance to win a 2009 Saturn Sky courtesy of Saturn of Rockford.
Stanley Cup Fact: There is only one Stanley Cup-Authenticated by the seal of the Hockey Hall of Fame on the bottom of the Cup, the seal can be seen when winning players life the Cup over their head. See the Stanley Cup as it comes to the Rockford MetroCentre for the first time on Saturday. For tickets call 815-968-5222 or visit www.metrocentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Get a Free IceHogs Block Figurine at LEGO/Autism Awareness Night
- Blackhawks Night Returns to Rockford on Friday, February 7
- $5 Kids Tickets, Console, Poster and Popsocket Giveaways Highlight Monday Matinee
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals