Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win
Hamilton, ON - The Hamilton Bulldogs defeated the Grand Rapids Griffins 6-3 on Friday night in front of 5,085 fans. David Desharnais recorded a hat-trick and an assist to lead the Bulldogs to victory.
The Bulldogs opened the game's scoring by setting a new franchise record for the fastest goal scored to start a game with Brock Trotter's marker nine seconds into the game. Desharnais sent a pass to Trotter who fired a shot past a sprawling Grand Rapids starting goaltender Jimmy Howard. Mike Glumac also added an assist.
The Griffins tied the game 1-1, 35 seconds into the middle stanza. Francis Lemieux sent a pass into the slot where Darren Helm was positioned. Helm released a shot that was deflected by Darren McCarty. The puck fluttered past Hamilton starting goaltender Cedrick Desjardins on the stick side.
The Bulldogs regained the lead at 15:15 of the second frame. Trotter gained control of the puck behind Grand Rapids' net before sending a pass in front to Desharnais. Desharnais blasted a one-time shot that beat Howard on the glove side.
Hamilton took a 3-1 lead 35 seconds into the final frame. Brock Trotter waited patiently with the puck before sending a pass behind Howard and onto the stick of Desharnais. Howard was out of position, allowing Desharnais to shoot the puck into an empty net.
Justin Abdelkader cut the lead to one at 6:17 of the third stanza with a power-play marker. Mattias Ritola received a pass from Helm before sending the puck to Abdelkader, who was in front of the net. Abdelkader stuffed the puck under the pads of Desjardins for the goal. While on the power play, Grand Rapids tied the game at 13:11. Darren Haydar received a pass from Brian Lashoff before blasting a shot from the point. The shot trickled through the pads of Desjardins and into the back of the net.
With a 5-on-3 power-play the 'Dogs took a 4-3 lead at 15:44. Ben Maxwell sent a pass across the point to Yannick Weber, who blasted a shot through traffic and past Howard. Desharnais recorded his hat-trick goal at 16:35 while on the power play. Weber blasted a shot on net that was saved by Howard. The rebound bounced around in front of the net before Desharnais snapped a shot past Howard. Alex Henry was awarded an empty net goal at 19:33. Henry shot the puck towards the empty Grand Rapids goal but a Griffins player closed his hand on the puck in the crease. This resulted in an automatic goal which Henry was awarded.
The Bulldogs host the Grand Rapids Griffins in a rematch tomorrow evening at Copps Coliseum with puck drop scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Fans can listen to every Dogs game on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, TALK 820. Fans can also listen or watch at www.hamiltonbulldogs.com by clicking on the AHL Live' or TALK 820' icons on the Bulldogs website. All regular-season radio and online broadcasts will begin with a pre-game show 30 minutes prior to each scheduled game-time.
Tickets for all Bulldogs home games are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.ca or through charge-by-phone at 905-527-7666.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.