Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie
Milwaukee, WI -The Milwaukee Admirals received third period goals by Cody Franson and Andreas Thuresson, but couldn't get the equalizer and fell to the Lake Erie Monsters 3-2 Friday night at the Bradley Center. The loss was the second in a row for the Admirals and their sixth defeat in their last seven contests.
Trailing 3-0 heading into the final stanza, Franson finally got Milwaukee on the board when he posted his tenth goal of the season 1:34 into the third. The Ads' defenseman gathered the puck at the right point and ripped a shot through traffic that got by Lake Erie netminder Tyler Weiman, the first Admirals goal against Weiman in over 100 minutes.
Thuresson would pull the Admirals to within one with a short-handed goal at the 15:05 mark of the third. With Nick Spaling in the box for a slash, Milwaukee forward James Sixsmith won an offensive zone face-off back to Thurresson, who fired a shot that beat Weiman top shelf and made the score 3-2.
The Admirals maintained good pressure and had a number of opportunities over the last five minutes of the game, but couldn't get the one they needed.
Lake Erie had a 1-0 lead after the first period, in spite of the fact that the Admirals outshot the Monsters 9-7 in the opening frame. Philippe Dupuis notched his 17th goal of the seson at the 5:10 mark of the first with an assist from former Admiral Matt Hendricks. The Ads had a golden opportunity to get a marker of their own with 44 seconds of 5-on-3 time, but they couldn't convert.
The Monsters got two in the second, the first coming 1:07 into the frame when they caught Milwaukee in a line change and Per Ledin converted. Brandon Biggers first goal of the season made it 3-0 Lake Erie at the 18:37 mark of the second on assists from David Marshall and Mark McCutchen.
No player on either roster finished the night with more than one point. Weimen turned aside 23 shots for the Monsters, while Admirals netminder Drew MacIntyre registered 24 saves in the loss.
The Admirals skate against the Rockford IceHogs tomorrow night before finishing the week with a 5:00 pm game versus Chicago on Sunday at the Bradley Center. Fans can buy tickets, by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Groups of ten or more people receive a minimum of $2 off of each ticket. For more information or to order group tickets call the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Admirals Stories
- Admirals Fall Late to Wild
- Russell Dickerson to Perform Post-Game Saturday Night
- Admirals Fend off Moose
- Admirals Shutout by Moose
- Admirals Fall to Wolves to Start Roadtrip