Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0
Providence, RI, April 3, 2009: The Hartford Wolf Pack set a franchise record with three shorthanded goals Friday night at the Dunkin' Donuts Center Providence, on their way to their most lopsided win of the season, a 6-0 victory over the Providence Bruins.
Mike Ouellette became the first Wolf Pack player ever to score two shorthanders in the same game, and Artem Anisimov had two goals and an assist for the Pack. Matt Zaba made 24 saves in the Wolf Pack net to get his second shutout of the season,
Vladimir Denisov and Brodie Dupont had a goal and an assist each, Jordan Owens had three assists and Dale Weise had a pair of assists.
The win improved the first-place Wolf Pack's record to 44-26-3-3 for 94 points and increased their Atlantic-Division lead over the second-place Bruins to six points.
The Wolf Pack penalty kill started its big night with two shorthanded goals in a span of 4:16 in the first period.
Brodie Dupont got his 17th goal of the season at 4:58. Anisimov carried the puck down right wing before jamming it off of Providence starting goaltender Tuukka Rask's pads and out into the slot. It hit Dupont, driving the middle, and went past Rask.
Ouellette then made it 2-0 for the Wolf Pack at 9:14, as he buried a second rebound. Owens was stopped twice by Rask before Ouellette was able to put the puck into the net.
The second period was scoreless, with the Wolf Pack outshooting Providence 9-6, before Hartford broke the game open with four goals on nine shots in the third period.
Anisimov scored off a centering pass from Weise at 3;36, and Ouellette scored the team's record-setting third shorthander of the night at 5:23.
Anisimov then improved his team-leading goal total to 35 with his second of the game at 11:38, deflecting in a shot from the left point by Denisov. Denisov created the final margin with a sixth Wolf Pack goal with 1:32 remaining, after taking a drop pass from Brock McBride.
The Wolf Pack were 10 for 10 on the penalty kill, and got their first victory in three visits on the year to Providence (1-2-1-0).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.