Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime
NORFOLK, Va. - Kevin Quick netted his first American Hockey League goal, but the Norfolk Admirals fell to the Philadelphia Phantoms 3-2 in overtime on Friday night at Norfolk Scope Arena.
The Phantoms (40-29-2-4) struck first 15:37 into the opening period. Michael Ratchuk sent a shot from the right point that floated through a screen and past Norfolk netminder Riku Helenius.
The Admirals (30-36-4-5) knotted the score at one goal apiece just 1:02 into the second period. Geoff Kinrade sent a shot from the high slot through traffic and into a maze of bodies at the top of the crease. Zenon Konopka found the loose puck and fired a backhand shot under the legs of Philadelphia netminder Scott Munroe for his 17th goal of the season.
Norfolk took the lead on Kevin Quick's first AHL goal just 2:58 into the final frame. Geoff Kinrade swung a pass from the right corner to the low slot for a John Swanson shot. The rebound found Quick near the top of the left circle, and Quick sent a slap shot into the net top-shelf.
However, Philadelphia struck back just over a minute later. Danny Syvret sent a shot from the left point that hit off Boyd Kane near the crease and caromed into the slot between the hashmarks. Rob Sirianni collected the puck and fired a wrist shot into the net at 4:06.
In overtime, Oskars Bartulis sent a long pass from the Philadelphia zone to Jared Ross just before the Norfolk blueline for a partial breakaway. Ross beat Helenius 1:37 into the extra session to give the visitors the win.
Riku Helenius (37 shots, 34 saves) took the loss. Scott Munroe (33 shots, 31 saves) picked up the win.
Norfolk was 0-4 on the power play. Philadelphia was 0-5.
The Admirals will round out the home slate for 2008-09 tomorrow night with the final contest at Scope ever against the Philadelphia Phantoms. The puck drops at 7:15 p.m. The game will be Fan Appreciation Night with thousands of prizes being given out to the most important members of the team - the fans.
To purchase tickets to any Admirals game, you may visit the Scope Box Office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., visit any Ticketmaster outlet, call Ticketmaster at (757) 671-8100 or visit Ticketmaster online at www.ticketmaster.com. Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Affordable monthly payment plans are available for a limited time only! Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
1. Jared Ross - PHI
2. Kevin Quick - NOR
3. Rob Sirianni - PHI
Notes ... The Admirals have killed 23 consecutive opponent power plays and 44 of the last 48 chances overall (91.7%). In that span, Norfolk's penalty kill has risen from 25th to 20th in the American Hockey League ... Rookies all registered professional firsts on Kevin Quick's third period goal, as Quick notched his first pro goal, John Swanson tallied his first pro assist and Geoff Kinrade notched his first professional multiple-point game (2A) ... Quick, who sent a game-high five shots on goal, scored his first AHL goal in his 65th AHL game ... Left wing Brandon Buck, who was signed to an Amateur Tryout Contract earlier in the day out of Guelph (OHL), made his professional debut ... Scratches: F Bracken Kearns, F Jason Ward, F/D Brent Henley, F Grant Potulny and D Scott Jackson ... F Steve Downie missed the game due to suspension ... Attendance: 4,188.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.